Subject Author Posted Replies

What is this type of foundation called?
I am thinking of building a storage buildong and remember coming across one time a different way of doing it. It seemed someone used posts as in a pole barn, but they were cut off short and a mudsill...
17
17

Electrical push connectors
Menards now has the WAGO push connectors in stock. Also checked with my electrical distributor and they are stocking them, another brand, possibly Ideal. Looks like the answer to the pigtailing...
11
11

Cinder block wall is pulling away
My neighbor and I have a problem. We have a common cinder block wall between our yards. We also have a cinder block wall that runs along an alley, perpendicular to the common wall. Both walls are...
13
13

Drilling in tight space?
I'm installing some kiddie latches in kitchen cabinets, and am having a hard time drilling. I'm trying to drill in frame around one of the drawers, but there's no space to position the drill, unless I...
7
7

would a gfci receptacal work properly on a arcfault circuit
------------------------------------- ,-~~-.___. / | ' \ ( ) 0 \_/-, ,----' ==== // / \-'~; /~~~(O) / __/~| / | =( _____| (_________|
2
2

handy man services
I recently sold my business, but too young to retire. I have a plumbing license, and I am good with my hands. I am interested in becoming a handyman/repair man for some appliances. How does a person...
3
3

Central AC
I'll be putting in the outside unit (condenser) at the rental tomorrow, the lines were cut back near the A coil, but there are a few inches to work with. I've never done this before. The outside...
28
28

Handyman - And other work
I didn't read the "How the find a handyman" thread because I do the type of thing I would hire a handyman to do. Don't know how to find a handyman. My neighbor, a woman, had a neighborhood handyman...
2
2

cement board under bathtub
There's mold under my cast iron bathtub so I'm going to pull it out into the next room to redo the subfloor. The bathtub is resting on 1/4" plywood over the subfloor. I'd like to replace the plywood...
1
1

Flaking paint on cellar floor
When we ripped up our basement's old wood floor, we found the concrete painted red. But the paint comes off easily as red dust, easily tracked onto the now-carpeted rooms (and incredibly attractive to...
10
10

Please help with deck ideas!!!
I have a 12x16 deck. My wife wants me to expand it. Her complaints are it is not big enough and that she would like an area covered where we could sit and eat in the sun or rain if we want to. Every...
7
7

Driveway paving-asphalt vs concrete?
I know prices will vary by region, but I'm tired of most of the driveway being gravel and want to pave it. 2,900 sq ft. Got my first concrete estimate for $11,500. Waiting for more estimates for both...
7
7

Looking for a wood stain recommendation
I don't know if the EPA has taken all the effective pigments and carriers off the market or what but I can't find wood stain that, well, stains. Minwax is really awful and Valspar doesn't seem much...
8
8

Why aren't all extension cords grounded if it's code that your outlet be grounded?
Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two- prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a...
10
10

Running water from houses?
My friend goes for long walks after work and in the morning on weekends, and she often sees a garden hose coming from people's homes runing water onto their driveways and down to the gutter. What do...
9
9