Subject Author Posted Replies

Maytag Performa Washing Machine - PUMP??
We have a Maytag Performa washing machine model PAV2300AWW revision 12 s/n 12566485YU. It sounds like the pump is going/gone. When draining it rattles/knocks like an engine with a bad rod bearing....
3
3

Old unit central A/C questions..
20 or 25 year old central air unit here. I took a fairly accurate insta-read laser thermometer and discovered that the temp coming out of the ducts is about 60 or 62 F in most rooms (I'm in Canada but...

testing a GFCI where no ground is available?
Hi all am looking for a hopefully easy to obtain, not too expensive method of demonstrating that a receptacle is GFCI protected... long story short. Am selling house, got offer. Home inspector came...
26
26

Filling an indentation on a flat roof
The roof in question is mineral roll roofing over a sunroom. It has been in place for many years and regularly receives a new coating of brushable roof sealer. My question: There are a couple of...
11
11

Pennington One Step- Too much hype?
I have not been able to reach customer service- always a call back, which I won't do. In late April I planted Pennington One Step. I followed instructions carefully. I'm in the Northeast and the...
16
16

Pressure treated wood outdoor swing/slide: should I use wood sealer??
Hi. Just inherited a 5-year old pressure-treated wood outdoor swing/slide sets. It looks like bare wood and never painted or sealed. Should I seal it? If so, any suggestions on product to use? Thanks...
8
8

Led Flashlights
This improved version of battery was the self contained dry cells. These self contained dry cells were more beneficial than the led acid batteries, because they were smaller and were much more...
13
13

Cordless Tools - Another SUCKER PRODUCT
I have decided to add all cordless tools to the list of SUCKER PRODUCTS. People who buy SUCKER PRODUCTS are truly suckers, and the companies that make and see these products know there is a sucker...
87
87

Putting plastic over open faced insulation
Hi all: I have a fireplace bump out with insulation on all four walls. Three of the walls that join to the outside have no paper on the insulation. Should I staple some 4 mil plastic to the studs over...
2
2

Knob & tube is live while main is off
I'm working on a 1906 house. There is a KT wire in the attic room that stays live (according to my current tester) even after the house main is off. Is there something about KT I should know, or...
13
13

40cm fan
I saw a 40cm fan at Walmart. That sounded huge. It was hot. I bought it. When I got home, it was time to put it together. I pulled it out of the box and was disappointed on how small it was. It wasn't...
1
1

Noisy shower valve
My apartment neighbor has a shower with a noisy valve. The rushing noise of the water is very loud in my apartment, and it wakes me up. It sounds just like the noise my shower valve makes if I turn it...
9
9

Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to...
73
73

What paint to use for patio furniture?
I have some metal framed patio chairs I am refurbishing. Question - what kind of paint is durable enough to use on them? I've used various spray paints before, but they tend to be soft and scratch and...
9
9

cutting HVAC ducts
I had to cut a rectangle out of my A/C duct to clean the evaporator. I had no tin ships but had a cheap pair of "penny cutter" EMT scissors. They worked better than my experience with tin ships...
13
13