Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting secrets
I just know somebody from an initials-only organization is going to come a disappear me for revealing these gems. But a Popular Mechanics article promotes the following: * Sanding * Tinted primer *...
16
16

adhesive for wall tile in a shower
I'm hanging 3 x 6 x 1/4" tile in a half shower. I've got durock on the bottom foot and treated sheetrock on everything above. So I can tile the bottom of it conventionally, and would expect to use...
43
43

cutler hammer 200 amp breaker
From the meter to the top of the 200amp disconnect at the pole I have 240 v...in the home at the top of the main breaker I get 240v...only w/ the breaker off...when I turn the breaker on for the whole...
20
20

BernzOmatic TS4000 trigger start torch
I got one. It stopped igniting. I can no longer hear the pezioelectric spark thingy clicking. I just read the wiki page and they have this to say: "Lighters with piezo-electric ignition typically do...
5
5

Venting Attics for Heat Control, or Not?
I won a house in Tucson, AZ with a crawlspace attic. I had always thought the attic should be vented, so that the heated air from the day's sun would get out fast, and I wouldn't have a pocket of ~150...
21
21

What to do with CFLs?
Mail 'em to your Congresscritter. after Senator Daschel's brush with Anthrax, I think it's probably against some federal law to be mailing hazardous stuff to a federal official.
2
2

Mold On RTV Silicone In Bathroom Shower ?
Hello, Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have, but... Anyway, as expected, over the years some very...
6
6

is it OK to buy a central system that uses R22 freon?
I am in need of another unit for the upstairs of my home. I just replaced the downstairs unit 2 years ago with a new unit that uses R410. Now that the upstairs unit has completely gone out, my...
21
21

Recall on PEX water pipes?
While I'm on the subject of water pipes - Is there a recall on PEX water pipes? I'm hearing that some people are suing because their PEX piping system is failing at the connection points. Costing them...
3
3

Copper water pipe: What's the diff between LX and MX ???
I'm at the home despot today (here in canada) and I'm wondering how much copper pipe is costing (on a per pound basis) as a multiple of the going market rate for copper (about 4 - 4.5 dollars per...
3
3

Repair Of Service Connection To House
Please take at look at this picture. need to fix the upper hole and the crack next to the standoff that is currently in use. That is going to mean replacing two sections of vinyl siding, which the...
9
9

arbor adapter for 4" diamond blade
I bought a diamond blade at lowe's, dewalt brand. The hole in the middle is about 3/4" in diameter. The spindle on the tile saw I just bought looks to be about a quarter inch in diameter. The clampy...

Adding a generator.
My sister lives in an area where the power goes out frequently. She has asked me more than once to "just" come out and add a plug for her so she can use a generator to keep her food from going bad....
4
4

Repairing a Bent Wellhead
This water wellhead was damaged when a clumsey gravel-truck driver backed into it. I don't know anything about working on wells, but I'm guessing that I probably need to rent something like a portable...
55
55

Painting vinyl? ? ?
The base of the downspouts on our building are some kind of vinyl or hard plastic -- I think it has a name of initials, like PCP or some such. They are white, and I'd like to paint them brown to match...
4
4