Subject Author Posted Replies

I have a few bids and I have decided who I want to use
How do I find out if they do good work? I found him by looking handymen in the local shopper. The guy I have been talking to is very knowledgeable, but I know he is not the one that is going to do the...
8
8

floor tile shrinkage repair
The basement floor of my 50-year old house was covered with asphalt tile about 45 years ago. It has been covered with carpeting most of the last 40 years. A recent power outage and torrential downpour...
4
4

Heavy-duty metal shelving ~48 x ~80 x 24: costco vs home depot?
Tomorrow I go buy some heavy-duty shelving (for the garage). Costco has what looks to be pretty substantial stuff -- 48 wide left-right, 2'deep shelves, whole thing maybe 75 or 80 inches high....
6
6

Interior Door Grief
I've decided it would be a good thing to replace the crummy slab hollow core interior doors in this house with something a little nicer, perhaps solid or engineered maple raised panel doors....
11
11

Cleaning white brick
I want to get my house pressure washed and I am reading that I should not because I have white brick. It has been pressure washed before. Anyone care to chime in?
6
6

Shower faucet hard to turn
My Mixet shower faucet has a temperature-control knob and a volume- control handle. Both the knob and the handle are becoming more difficult to turn. What do I need to do so they are easier to turn?
1
1

Remote Pool Thermometer
Old mercury thermometer broke. Looking for a digital remote and see only one, AquaQuick, which seems to have lousy ratings. Any suggestions?
4
4

Garage Door Repair and Maintainance!!
Hi Guys, I am staying in Toronto and want to get my Garage Door Repaired and Maintained. The problem is I have got it repaired 5 times already and now the door stops half way down. I am really fed up...
8
8

new rubber roof
I have a flat roof, the contractor wants to use 1.5" polyiso foamboard over the bare wood deck, I know the benefit of added insulation. But since the foamboard compresses when walked on, wont this...
1
1

Pool Vacuum Hose Question
If this question should be on a different group, please let me know; I don't want to create clutter here. We have a Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra that is powered through about 35 feet of 1 1/2 inch...
13
13

OT. Apple has more ready cash than the US government!
Watching RTTV (Russian) today. Apple (the computer people) have more ready cash then the US government. They keep most of it in China to avoid tax apparently. 't appeared here yet but it will. Other...

electric costs
Wonder what everyone is paying. I took my electric bill cost this month, $120 for 1200 kwh. That's 9.6 cents per kwh. That includes all costs including tax. In areas not far away, another distribution...
43
43

Man electrocuted while "allegedly" stealing wiring (HOUMA, LA)
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire. Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their...
28
28

ScaleRID watersoftener
ScaleRID ads claim to get rid of hard water problems without expensive water softeners. What are your experiences with ScaleRID?
3
3

Example of great ironwork
At first I thought it was a gate but then decided it was merely a decoration.
2
2