110v line to 220v line?

Page 4 of 4
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:39:07 GMT, "Tom Horne, Electrician"

Something still needs to be fixed. There is no way to tell from looking at the panel, that different phases are required.
As I said in another pose, it shouldn't be too hard to rewire an outlet, eliminating the (shared neutral) situation. I'll do that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

This is another example of what can happen when you want to ignore a code requirement because you don't understand. If it is code, you follow it. End of discussion.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
#spamblock*-@hotmail.com says...

First, I'd replace the dangerous and illegal [for this use] 12-2 cable with 12-3, with the red and black wires connected to a two-pole 240V breaker. Then I'd wire the space heater across the black and white, and the hair dryer across the red and white.
That's 15A in the black wire, 14A in the red wire, and (15A - 14A) = 1A in the white wire.
If you don't understand how that works, and why it's safe, and why the setup you described is not ... then you oughta stop offering electrical advice.
says...

just enough to be dangerous. But in any wiring or other repair, I don't go by what will 'be safe for me, because I know how it is set up.' I go by what will be safe for any guests, or for the next owner of the place. A wiring setup can easily be in place for 50+ years or more. Are <you> gonna be around that long, to make sure everyone knows about your 'good enough' shortcut? Spend the few extra bucks, wire it to code or better, and never have to worry about it again. If nothing else, when it comes time for you or your heirs to sell, the buyer's inspector will likely catch it anyway, and you'll have to pay more to redo the work at that point.
aem sends...
That's a fascinating approach. I can see that working. Didn't even think of that -- effectively making a 220 volt space heater / hair dryer. Neat technique!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

It's clear you still don't understand. As I suggested before, Google on "Edison circuit" and learn something new.
--
Regards,