110V and water

That is not correct. Lots of hot vapour humidifiers work by running the current through water between 110 volt AC electrodes. The water conducts well enough to heat the water to boiling in the tube surrounding the 2 electrodes - and yes, they DO work with distilled and/or RO purified water.

Reply to
clare

Di-inized water 5.5 × 10-6[1] changes to 1.2 × 10-4 in water with no gas present[1]

Drinking water 0.0005 to 0.05 This value range is typical of high quality drinking water and not an indicator of water quality

Water conductivity

Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as the concentration of ions increases. Thus conductivity increases as water dissolved ionic species.

Typical conductivity of waters: Ultra pure water 5.5 · 10-6 S/m Drinking water 0.005 ? 0.05 S/m Sea water 5 S/m

So not HIGHLY conductive may be true, but nonconductive would be false.

Reply to
clare

NO they do not require salt, and Chalescraft, for one, distictly cautions AGAINST adding salt. Apparently there is a chlorine danger when NaCl is added to the water.

Reply to
clare

When the kids were little we used one. My wife HATES deposit build-up in kettles etc, so it was run on distilled water - and it worked.

Better than salt is a bit of washing soda or Borax.(if you need to add anything)

Reply to
clare

CJT

I have kids. And I also know how mistaken you are if you think only kids can use such devices.

Adding salt to the water is not necessary and is specifically prohibited for warranty purpose of any such device we've ever had.

The work fine without adding anything to the regular drinking water.

Considering this thread was started by a troll and taken on by a buncho of egotists with nothing worthwhile to do, every single person so far has missed the actual reason WHY they work as they do. No one has mentioned the material used in the posts of these things, and althoug it was obliquely referenced, no one pointed out that current flow will depend on the distance between the two probes in the water and the surface area of the probes at first. Once the process gets started, it's self sustaining as long as any water is still touching both probes. Me, I'm done with this thread; my only reason for reading it was to see who the dummies might be. It's quicker than long lurks.

Reply to
Twayne

And there was still some scale buildup, wasn't there? It's the electro-chemical reactions. Now let's sit back and watch the egos take off on that.

Reply to
Twayne

Actually with the distilled water, deposits were ALMOST non-existant.

Reply to
clare

I diidn't see any problem with the thread and no one else seems upset. Also, what makes you think that no one else here knows that the current flow will depend on the surface area of the probes. Oh, BTW genius, the current doesn't just depend on the surface area initially, it depends on the surface area all the time.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reply to
trader4

The common "weatherproof" boxes don't have drain holes in them[1]. Should drain holes be drilled before they are installed?

charles

[1] Mostly, I think because this would mean there would be only one way the box could be installed and have the drain holes work.
Reply to
Charles Bishop
[snip]

cite?