Subject Author Posted Replies

Smoke Detector Wiring, And Electrical Code ?
Hello, I realize that I can probably do the following safely without considering the Code, but I would really like to do it correctly and "per the electrical code". I have three older ceiling smoke...
10
10

Can I buy these?
When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts when I removed the hitch. The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the crusher, and he probably still has...
30
30

Tankless vs Tank water heater. Whats will last longer? I already have a high powered solar water heater.
Does anyone have any knowledge about what is better, Tankless or Tank water heater? Whats will last longer? Middle of the line Tankless water heater has 5 year parts and 1 labor warranty cost about...
37
37

OT: "Exit Only" Signs - Suggestion or Law?
I'm going to call the project office for a reconstruction project near my house when I get a chance, but just for fun I thought I'd toss this out for opinions... If there is a sign over a highway lane...
30
30

Stripping paint from basement door.
I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint. As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what would...
6
6

Rebuild a battery pack??
B & D is the bargain line of the company, IMO replacement is a dubious choice. The world has mostly adopted Li ion. so look for a new drill powered that way. Makita is a favorite of tradesmen,...
2
2

caulk along roof drip edge and fascia board?
I have a wood fascia board with no gutter. That wood wears at 10x the rate of the other siding, fascia. I need to prep and paint, but thinking to maybe run a bead of caulk along the drip edge and the...
7
7

Toilet sometimes runs
This is driving me nuts. Sometimes the toilet (low-flow Vitra) runs, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pushing the handle down different ways -- fast, slow -- but can't isolate that as a factor....
9
9

Attaching 2x4 to cinder block wall
I am looking for suggestions on how to attach a 2x4 to a cinder block wall. Here is the scenario. The 2x4 will be running horizontally on the interior of a basement wall below the ground level. It...
16
16

Major mistake
I bought a 4' vanity base from a Craigslist ad. It was perfect to replace the "builder grade" crap in the master bedroom and at a really good price. There was a problem, though. When I got it home I...
4
4

How come wood doors always grow bigger?
I'm talking about the typical situation where a wood door starting to stick= in humid weather. I plane the door so that it no longer sticks in the jam= b, and then everything is fine until a year...
9
9

Power tool Batteries
If you were going to replace that batteries in a 12v Dewalt drill, would you get NIMH or NICAD Roanin
6
6

Pergo laminate floor surface rubbed off
Because I failed to use a platic chair protector between my office chair with rollers and the Pergo, there is a faint surface circle on the Pergo showing where the top protection rubbed off. Any ideas...
3
3

WTB - Self taps
Want to buy about 1,000 self tapping screws with sealer, approximately 1/8" hole, 3/4" to 1" length, 5/16" head. Must be new. Also need some stitchers, the bell shaped self tap used to put two sheets...
16
16

crosley fridge
Whats the general oppinion of Crosley fridges......they claim to be made by fridigidair. I like the 10 year compressor warranty, everyone else has a 1 yr. warranty. Todays date is 8/22/2011 and a...
3
3