110 to door bell?

I have some neighbor kids who ring the door bell, then haul ass.

I'd like to wire it, so when they push the bell, they get shocked. How do I wire a live wire to the buzzer?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Sonny

Why not get a furnace transformer and put 20,000 volts to the door bell?

Reply to
LSMFT

"Sonny" wrote in news:i7j9nb$as7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Contact this person. Doorbell jokesters, pesky politicians, Halloween pests, Amway Idiots, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. One tool does it all.

Customize your needs:

Red Green

Easily done, just ask your lawyer about it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you want to kill them or just scare them?

Reply to
A. Baum

Candies to the kids! Trick or treat? :)

Reply to
Man-wai Chang

1) Go down to your nearest farm supply store and buy a low cost electric fence charger. A proven technology with little aftereffect on the protagonist. Take the button out of the circuit, of course. 2) Connect your door bell to an X10 device to turn on the porch (whatever) light. Try to avoid the temptation to use a hidden blasting cap instead. 3) Install multiple phony door bell buttons, some lighted, others not. 4) Place a sticky coated mat where the perp would stand to push the button. Roofing tar is cheap... Have fun.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You may have to clean the front porch :-)

Reply to
Harry A

Gotta learn to pick your battles. Disconnect it for a few days- they'll get bored and move on. Any real visitors will figure it out and knock. Too bad Google group search is broken- this very topic comes up 3-4 times a year, and the general opinion is that the few moments of satisfaction are not worth what the lawyer costs, and the jail time.

Reply to
aemeijers

"aemeijers" wrote

Our doorbell broke soon after we moved here in 1981. Fixed it for a year but it broke again (power surge) last June. People that know us know to come to the side door anyway. Probably won't replace it again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This sounds like a troll, and if you do this you could end up in prison.

Why not place a hidden video camera pointing toward the doorball. Hook camera to a VCR or other recording device, and keep the camera turned on till you catch them. Then just show the video to their parents or the police.

While I dont recommend this, you could actually connect a wire to a large battery operated capacitor discharge circuit. (such as a livestock or dog electric fence controller). This is not lethal, but still could get you in trouble when the postman, the police, or anyone else touches it.

Reply to
jw

Why hide the camera? To scare off kids (at least the non-tech-savvy ones), one of those 20-buck fake video cameras from Harbor Freight would likely be enough.

Reply to
aemeijers

You can get a camera from HF

The camera, coupled with an $11.00 video card, allows you to record everything that happens at your front door.

With this evidence, you can let your state government electrocute the miscreants (or stick 'em with a needle, or whatever).

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd rather scare them than kill them, less stuff to hose off the porch. Years ago I recorded a friends 180lb Malamute barking and when the tape was slowed to its lowest speed, it sounded like the biggest, baddest, most terrifying monster one could imagine. Something like that triggered by the door bell button might work on the kiddies.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If they dont steal a visible camera.......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

many years ago i tired of a knick knocker , tow brothers who became a irritant.

So I found a old halloween mask and waited while they approached, the younger one couldnt of been more than 5.

I waited behind the door came out growling and scared the kid to death, he went running down the street screaming with me in close pursuit.

his dad came out wondering what was up./

I told dad of his kids activities, and dad apologized.

perhaps 20 years later the family wasv moving the son now in his 20s back from college asked me if i rembered it.

oh sure:)

The brothers did they said their backsides sure did:)

Nice family and a fun ending:)

Reply to
hallerb

But at least not so many bodes would pile up.

Reply to
Twayne
?

One of the better things about growing older is following past neighbors, friends and their kids to see what is happening. One gal we lived near had a very busy daughter who pulled pranks on us neighbors continually. She was a smart kid, but a bit of a hellion, as they say. Her poor Mom was always grounding her, spanking her and later on, hiding the keys to the car. The girl is now a full Colonel in the military and is being considered for a General rank. Her mother enjoys telling people that she'll one of the privileged few who can brag about having spanked the butt of a General.

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

I had a night light plugged into the 110V outlet on the front porch. The kids kept stealing them, I finally covered the sides with grease from the grease gun, and it lasted until I wired the porch lights with a motion detector. I think I also might have glued it, I don't remember if I did that our not. I thought about running some small wires from the prongs to the side but decided I'd probably better not do that. The motion detectors wired to the porch lights and the lights under the carport seem have solved a lot of problems.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I had a coworker who had dogs getting into his garbage can.

He wired it up, 220 I think.

It did kill the dog. But it turned out it was his own dog.

Reply to
TimR