10w bulb?

Page 1 of 2
My wife wants to use a table lamp as a nightlight, so I have the job of finding a 10w bulb for it. Are they available? Other than installing a dimming wall switch, is there anything that would dim a table lamp (at a not too outrageous price of course)? Thanks.
Hi, There is a lamp with built-in touch sense dimmer. You touch the base once, it comes one at dim, one more touch little brighter, once more, full brightness. Then one more touch it turns off. My wife has one on her bed side. Tony
Toller wrote:

Thanks, but it is for an existing lamp. She doesn't consult me until something doesn't work...
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:32:18 GMT, Toller wrote:

You can buy the touch dimmer as a kit and install it in your existing lamp.
Toller wrote:

Hi, Then you can buy low wattage bulb the size of golf ball, clear or soft white. The sensor lamp stand won't cost much either. Maybe 20.00 for one. Tony

Go to a commercial electrical supply house (where electricians go to buy supplies) and tell them what you want. They can probably fix you up with an appliance bulb or something that is 10 watts.
BB
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

Since most low wattage bulbs are candelabra base, you could get an adapter that's pretty cheap that screws into the standard base and lets you screw in a low wattage candelabra bulb. Added bonus is that there's more color and style choices in the candelabra style bulbs. You can get 4 or 7 watt colored bulbs for the night light. If she wants variety, then you can try the touch kit; but I've found that if you give SWMBO too many options it can get pretty ugly.
--
Papa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

I don't know about a kit, but I have a 3 way dimmer that just screws in the socket of table lamp then the bulb screws in it, and a long screw makes contact with the outside of the socket which is the conduction touch if the base is metal. Otherwise you just touch the socket. Of course it makes the bulb sit about 2 inches higher. I think the three touch positions are 1/3, 1/2, and full. Some stores still sell them for about 8 bucks. If Toller can find a 10W he could easily find a 15 W and certainly a 25 W, which at the lowest setting would give 5W or 8W. However these would actually be much dimmer than a 10w bulb. Ha, my wife didn't like it so now it sets inside a desk drawer.
Grainger, www.grainger.com, stocks a 7.5 watt lamp (5V163) and an 11 watt lamp (1E141) with "medium" bases which are the standard "light bulb" base. Looks like GE forgot to offer a 10 watt lamp.
RB
Toller wrote:

I just bought a three-way bulb that is 15W-135W-150W. Very handy for a 15W night light, and then you can turn it up and read by it if you want. I suppose you would have to replace the socket with a three way switch, but that's a simple job. Don't think it comes in a 10W version, however.

I use a 7w bulb -- it's available in many stores.

http://www.polsteins.com/lutelwhitlam.html

not
I have a very low wattage fluorescent light bulb in a living room lamp that I use as a night light.
I think it used 5 watts of electricity and produces the light similar to a 10 watt filament bulb.
I've had it for over a year now and as a bonus, it is very cheap to use and it produces very little heat too.
I bought it at Lowe's.
Hound Dog
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Toller wrote:

check http://northamericalights.com/incan10.htm for 7.5 watt, medium base, bulbs also available at most hardware/HD/Lowes stores
--
(remove N0SPAM from address to reply)

Thank you all. I will have to start calling some electrical supply houses. (Hopefully I will do better than with the 240v/30a switch with pilot light I was looking for last year. No one in town had one or would order one.)
Display case lamps usually have a standard base and are low wattage.. The ones I have seen were long and kinda 'hot-dog' shaped..
I think the smallest appliance bulb I have seen were 15 watts. I could be wrong on that..
Steve
We have an old dog, almost 19, that is deaf and and somewhat blind (cateracts). I bought a 7 watt compact fluorescent which works real well. He doesn't get lost in the dark and at 7 watt, it doesn't cost too much to operate.
Toller wrote:

not
This is Turtle.
Other here had some good ideals but you may just want to use a 15 watt refrigerator and Oven light bulb and they are cheap and sold everywhere. You may have to pay for that less 5 watts.
TURTLE
040113 2015 - Toller wrote:

You may be able to find one of those screw in adapters that have a 2 slot outlet on it. Then you can plug in a regular night light with a 7 watt, or 4 watt lamp. There are also the new LED night lights that are only 0.25 watt; and they have a greater light output.
I have both and the 1/4 W LEDs are bright for the power. But they are not as bright the common regular 7W or even a 4W bulb.