10w bulb?

My wife wants to use a table lamp as a nightlight, so I have the job of finding a 10w bulb for it. Are they available? Other than installing a dimming wall switch, is there anything that would dim a table lamp (at a not too outrageous price of course)? Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Tony Hwang

Thanks, but it is for an existing lamp. She doesn't consult me until something doesn't work...

Reply to
Toller

You can buy the touch dimmer as a kit and install it in your existing lamp.

Reply to
Lou W

Go to a commercial electrical supply house (where electricians go to buy supplies) and tell them what you want. They can probably fix you up with an appliance bulb or something that is 10 watts.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Since most low wattage bulbs are candelabra base, you could get an adapter that's pretty cheap that screws into the standard base and lets you screw in a low wattage candelabra bulb. Added bonus is that there's more color and style choices in the candelabra style bulbs. You can get

4 or 7 watt colored bulbs for the night light. If she wants variety, then you can try the touch kit; but I've found that if you give SWMBO too many options it can get pretty ugly.
Reply to
Papa Koca

Grainger,

stocks a 7.5 watt lamp (5V163) and an 11 watt lamp (1E141) with "medium" bases which are the standard "light bulb" base. Looks like GE forgot to offer a 10 watt lamp.

RB

Toller wrote:

Reply to
RB

I just bought a three-way bulb that is 15W-135W-150W. Very handy for a

15W night light, and then you can turn it up and read by it if you want. I suppose you would have to replace the socket with a three way switch, but that's a simple job. Don't think it comes in a 10W version, however.
Reply to
Tom Miller

"Toller" wrote in news:oK0Nb.139$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I use a 7w bulb -- it's available in many stores.

Murray Peterson

I have a very low wattage fluorescent light bulb in a living room lamp that I use as a night light.

I think it used 5 watts of electricity and produces the light similar to a

10 watt filament bulb.

I've had it for over a year now and as a bonus, it is very cheap to use and it produces very little heat too.

I bought it at Lowe's.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Hi, Then you can buy low wattage bulb the size of golf ball, clear or soft white. The sensor lamp stand won't cost much either. Maybe 20.00 for one. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've never seen a 10W, but they do make a 7 1/2 watt that fits a standard base. Just about right for a night light. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

check

for 7.5 watt, medium base, bulbs also available at most hardware/HD/Lowes stores

Reply to
Reed

Display case lamps usually have a standard base and are low wattage.. The ones I have seen were long and kinda 'hot-dog' shaped..

I think the smallest appliance bulb I have seen were 15 watts. I could be wrong on that..

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I don't know about a kit, but I have a 3 way dimmer that just screws in the socket of table lamp then the bulb screws in it, and a long screw makes contact with the outside of the socket which is the conduction touch if the base is metal. Otherwise you just touch the socket. Of course it makes the bulb sit about 2 inches higher. I think the three touch positions are 1/3, 1/2, and full. Some stores still sell them for about 8 bucks. If Toller can find a 10W he could easily find a 15 W and certainly a 25 W, which at the lowest setting would give 5W or 8W. However these would actually be much dimmer than a 10w bulb. Ha, my wife didn't like it so now it sets inside a desk drawer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thank you all. I will have to start calling some electrical supply houses. (Hopefully I will do better than with the 240v/30a switch with pilot light I was looking for last year. No one in town had one or would order one.)

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
Art Todesco

This is Turtle.

Other here had some good ideals but you may just want to use a 15 watt refrigerator and Oven light bulb and they are cheap and sold everywhere. You may have to pay for that less 5 watts.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You may be able to find one of those screw in adapters that have a 2 slot outlet on it. Then you can plug in a regular night light with a 7 watt, or

4 watt lamp. There are also the new LED night lights that are only 0.25 watt; and they have a greater light output.
Reply to
indago

You can try looking on these sites. You may have to go to an electrical supply house and buy a medium base to candelabra adapter (Porcelain is recommended) and use a candelabra base bulb in the lamp.

or

John Grabowski