Subject Author Posted Replies

Steel or bronze hinges
Hi, For an outswing exterior door, without a storm door or an overhead cover, in a Philadelphia, PA climate: how critical would it be to purchase a bronze rather than a steel hinge. Steel...
6
6

Dirlling metal at an angle?
Is there a decent technique to drill holes in metal at an angle? My "new" car has more empty space in the engine compartment, but it has almost no "wall space". There are a couple spots big enough to...
12
12

Smoke/fire alarm?
Any recs on smoke/fire alarms? I have a First Alert duo photoelectric/ionization. Web makes it sound like you really need both. But the only manufacturers of alarms are Kidde and FA, and in both cases...
1
1

Dark Edge on Concrete Patch
See --> the slab dug up and patched where the shower drain pierces it. Was done about 10 days ago. The feathered edge of the patch remains dark (doesn't seem to be damp). Is this dampness rising...
6
6

OT - But worthy note for cell phone users...
Interesting, but what does it have to do with cell phones versus any other type of phone?
3
3

Problem with shower
This is the shower/ bath mixer I own: Crosswater Komo Deck Mounted Single Lever Bath-Shower Mixer (you can google that). I just changed the moving part inside. This is the 2nd time I have had to...
3
3

Plumbing vent roof flashing seal shot, just slide a new one on top?
I'm a handyman and replacing the plumbing vent roof flashing is a common jo= b. In the past I have removed the fewest possible number of surrounding shi= ngles, removed the old flashing and installed...
7
7

Septic pump testing???
Well, among the household items burned out by my power surge was my sump pump. Going undetected for a couple of day I discovered 6+ inches of standing water in my finished basement. With that aside my...
7
7

OT - The Antarctic hasn't started to melt
McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica Latitude: 77° 50' South, Longitude: 166° 36' East Current Time: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 1:23:24 PM NZST (+12 GMT) Sunrise at 6:57 AM in direction 87°...
2
2

trying to change bathroom sink faucet, can't get the old one off
It was a pain in the rear getting the nuts off the stems from underneath, had to get a deep socket from the auto parts store, but now everything is disconnected. But the faucet assembly won't budge....
17
17

Wiring a Shed
I am in the process of wiring an 8 x 10 storage shed for a light fixture and an external AC receptacle. The receptacle will be for the occasional power tool, radio, etc. No table saws or anything like...
27
27

Exterior Paint Estimate for this house
?pid=163& very similar. The floor plans are very similar. The one rear exterior photo is not accurate. That garage looks to be bigger than the actual plans. Can anyone venture an estimate to the...
37
37

Incredible basement
This was originally posted on rec.woodworking The link to the video below is neat. I wish I had the guys ability and time: Bobbi's basement - A replica of the "1890's Main Street" exhibit front from...
4
4

More about the toilet
Even though the leak was outside the tank, I replaced the fill valve with the 400A Fluid Master. It seems everyone is happy with these things, but I found this one to be verrrry loud. Googling, some...

Repair/Remove vinyl siding
Anybody got some tips on removing vinyl siding? Detached 2-car garage with Ga. Pacific vinyl siding from the 90's. I need to replace an outside corner post and some j-channel. Got the Kobalt siding...
11
11