Subject Author Posted Replies

Digital Replacements for Fried TVs and VCR
So, lightning struck a friend's house recently and fried most of the electronics inside including two TV sets, their digital converter boxes, a telephone answering machine, VCR and a clock radio. One...
42
42

When Replacing A Breaker Panel, Would You Do this?
On this week's episode of Ask This Old House, an electrician was replacing the service wire and panel in a house. There were code problems within the panel (broken breakers, doubled up circuits, etc.)...
75
75

Drywall Repair Video from USG
I know spit about drywall, except past experience helping hump it from one spot to another. ;) This is very great info. Thanks. nb
3
3

´How Do They Do It¡ TV show question
In a recent show they painted a gigantic tanker ship. The lowered it onto blocks and then cleaned and painted the hull. I have seen this done before on other TV shows and have always wondered: how do...
4
4

Heat wont come on after running out of oil
Hello, I ran out of oil. after filling the tank and bleeding the line the furnace came on but it seems like its only coming on to heat the water. I get hot water from the furnace. The baseboard...
36
36

Sheathing from the 1960's (2024 Update)
wrote in news: I believe the stuff you're talking about is called Celotex. It is/was made mostly of sugar cane fibers. Don't know if it's still made or not. It was more sturdy than styrofoam,...
29
29

(old) xerox desktop copier: grabs 2 sheets each time. Fix?
Inexpensive desktop copier (xerox workcenter x88) -- grabs two sheets of paper each time, causes error E1. Works fine -- if you feed each BY HAND. Copy quality excellent, etc -- only pbm is this...
13
13

parging
I have a concrete block wall in my basement that is chronically damp inside. I had a contractor over to look at the situation - whether the outside of the wall should be resurfaced, etc. - and he...
14
14

Power Vent water heater questions...
Just had a new furnace installed and now looking at replacing the water heater so I can eliminate the need for a chimney. Current water heater is 50 US gal flue/chimney vent type. It's only 9 years...
14
14

Kenmore front-load washer -- 10yr status report
We have one of those Frigidaire-manufactured Kenmore front-load washers that is now somewhere around 10 years old. Many of these have, AFAICS, not lasted this long. I see that by 2007 I was reporting...

GE Icemaker
Did you bump the switch? Tells you how to run a diagnostic test on your GE, too. Jim Learn basic troubleshooting for icemaker issues. Find more tips at http://www.geappliances.com.
7
7

metal kitchen sink on corian countertop
I've got a metal sink that has a thin protruding caulk line around it on top of the corian countertop. I'm not there right now but I did see it and I'd say it's around 1/8" or less bead around sink...
5
5

Homasote?
Is Homasote still available? I'd like to make a fabric-covered bulletin board and can't find it locally anymore. Perhaps there's something better. Homasote is light, easy-to-cut, soft enough to take a...
6
6

Finishing basement stairs? (no carpet or vinyl)
I've removed all carpet from our home and replaced most of the floors with hard maple or porcelain tile. The two staircases were cheaply made and intended for carpet; particleboard treads and plywood...
6
6

Dishwasher problem
I am having a problem with a Maytag dishwasher. It is covered by a Maytag extended warranty. It failed on December 22, 2011. It is still not fixed because the needed part is on backorder until...
4
4