Subject Author Posted Replies

Air in Sealed Central Heating System
If it's a steam system, ignore this. Never had steam radiators. I've had a couple hot water systems. You don't say if the system was recently emptied, then refilled If so, when refilling the radiators...
9
9

OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship
OT Does anyone know a) what the water temp was where the ship sank in Italy? How long can one last at that temperature? b) how far it really was from the ship to land? Because of telephoto lenses,...
62
62

OT Thought this might amuse...
Looks like a standard Mark I 'possum to me...
6
6

Actuary work
On Jeopardy tonight, one of the 3 contestatnts was an actuary but not for people. He worked for a "home improvement" company, and with statistics, he predicted how long your refrigerator would last....
13
13

water softeners in the UK
My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener. They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water softeners. They live in a typical masonette, so it...
4
4

First 100w bulbs, now the internet
Is there anything our legislators cannot do? Big portions of the internet will go dark Wednesday. "Controversial anti-piracy legislation, already on life support in the House, is now in serious doubt...
15
15

Lights dim
LOL... Umm... troll much ? Some details about which circuits the heater fan is on versus the lights you notice dim... Same question about the power tools and the light... Long wire run back to panel ?...
4
4

Drywall
What is the correct spacing for drywall screws for a wall and ceiling, what I've found so far is 16" wall and 12" ceiling, I can't find chicago code on this and a dry Waller doing a few hundred sheets...
6
6

Adjustments on large pre-WW2 Hot Water Finned Radiators
Title says it all - 1920s colonial with bulky radiators currently fed by modern Burnham V8 Boiler. General Description: On the radiators themselves there are two types of adjustments(at least they...
20
20

kitchen lighting
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter) fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen. I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own...
10
10

Necessary to cover top of central AC intake in winter?
Hi , I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast. There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen. I was driving...
55
55

Mold remediation
What is the best way to clean up mold? My shed developed a leak and everything inside is now covered with a greenish, powdery mold. I've patched up the leak and started wiping down things with rags...
6
6

CFL blew out, literally
Lights of America, 32W base up in a desk lamp. I heard a pop and found the two parts of that form the base separated with the bulb dangling from a pair of internal wires, and a scorch mark on the...
15
15

Which circuit?
My range hood vent died recently so I decided to replace it. BUT the circuits in the breaker box are poorly marked. Just want to know if I am correct inassuming the 240 volts to the stove would not...
32
32

Round table edge protector
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter, edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has...
34
34