Subject Author Posted Replies

GFCI for Dishwasher
My daughter wants to replace the built-in dishwasher in her condo. The plug-in outlet is behind the dishwasher. Should that outlet be upgraded to a GFCI or not? From what I understand, the current NEC...
18
18

Pro-Com Fireplace Insert - Thermocouple Replacement?
A friend has a ProCom Model FBD32RT fireplace insert. The pilot light won't stay lit. He has the operation manual, but no service manual. I searched for videos and a service manual, but no luck. I...

is it possible to modify or change these heater registers for use with filters?
My home has these continental heater registers: it possible to either modify or replace these with something that would allow the use of replaceable air filters? Thanks.
2
2

key broke off in Taylor deadbolt
I have a "Jimmy resistant" Taylor deadbolt lock that I have been using for years on one of my doors. It has sometimes been tough to open and close and I used graphite last year which helped and I just...
11
11

OT. T-Day Adjustment
<> A turkey giving advice. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/15/5d/1f/155d1f3fbd114440b70c8c33d2ae8a38.jpg
9
9

unable to find air filter location for Bard fc095d36e oil furnace
I have a fifteen year old Bard oil furnace, FC095D36E which came in a house I recently purchased. Although I was able to change the nozzle and oil filter before it got colder, I have been unable to...
16
16

Lower your hot water temperatrure
Just heard some kind of commercial that said to save money, lower the home thermostat and the hot water temperature. The first works, but if you lower the hot water temp doesn't that just mean you'll...
15
15

PVC 90 deg 1/2" male to male elbow?
Hi All, I am not having a lot of luck finding the following: PVC 1-1/4" IPS male to 1/2" male IPS 90 degree elbow Anyone know where I can find such a critter? Many thanks, -T
2
2

Water heater relief valve.
We have a water heater and it leaks water though the relief valve. But, it only happens when the water heater is warm. If the temp is turned down (a.k.a. Off) the relief valve stops leaking. What's...
13
13

waterproof fabric for feral cat to lay on?
I recently had an outdoor feral cat adopt me. I have been trying to set up a warm place for him under my carport. I temporarily placed a heating pad on top of a spare bench and he took to it right...
13
13

Why unions have failed American workers.
Pendulum is swinging. Unions did a lot of good back in the 1930 but when I started working in the 1960s they would have just taken my money and held me back. I've been involved in negotiations. Times...
14
14

Two new water pressure regulators. Won’t hold pressure
I Replaced/changed out pressure regulator 3 times. Flushed out any possible debris. Tried setting at 50 and 60psi. After turning water on then off, it continues to be erratic, sometimes keeping...
2
2

NJ Rental property laws
I have a friend who rents in NJ but lives elsewhere who is trying to rent a home through a rental agent. I _thought_ that rental agents couldn't double dip (at least I always thought they can't,...
3
3

Why no "frosted" porch lights
I need a new porch light. Mine is less than 10 years old and already it doesn't go on most of the time when people walk up to it, and it's even harder to get it on by flipping the switch. 20 tries and...
62
62

OT carrots
OT It turns out that McCarthy was wrong when he said, approximately, there was no such things as baby carrots. That they are regular carrots cut to look smaller. He was wrong for two reasons. There...