Subject Author Posted Replies

Need flat area on round fluted column
Trying to add railings to my front porch. I have 7" round fluted AFCO columns and want to mount PVC railings. I need a flat surface on the column to attach the mounting flange. I think I would have to...
9
9

Removing Rain-X from car windshield
I put some Rain-x on my windshield on the outside. I noticed they sell one bottle for the outside of the window and one for the inside. I figured they just wanted to sell two bottles and it's the same...
58
58

Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD (2023 Update)
check this out on the species, your bamboo forest could yield 50,000 to 100,000 pounds of dry timber per acre. From second link....... ERADICATING BAMBOO. Bamboo can be eradicated by several methods:...
66
66

which repairs should be first
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle), foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile, etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation...
22
22

Furnace Air Filter Questions
My 95.5% Gas furnace came with a fiberglass air filter with little restriction and no filtering action. I substituted a Filtrete allergy reduction filter and went about my business. Been running that...
2
2

estimating for a handy man special type house
Ok, this home is almost 2400 sq feet, one story (no basement) located just outside of Houston, Texas. Any idea what a roof job might cost if it's shingle and complete tearoff of old? Assume that the...
1
1

Screwing Versus Nailing Studs
I'm watching Holmes. In many cases, his crew is screwing studs where other shows I watch use nails. Is that a Canadian thing, personal preference, better, worse, or what? They're building a wall, and...
9
9

Junction Box Code Question
If you're not kidding, be sure to buy grounded duct tape. You may have to buy it at an electrical supply store since Home Depot or True Value may not have it. This duct tape has a fine metallic mesh...
14
14

Lessons learned on my first alt.home.repair mortar & flagstone job! (thanks to all)
It's a good thing I'm not getting paid by the hour - but at least I'm learning how to make mistakes in my first sandstone tile & flagstone walkways: First lesson learned was to wear better gloves! The...
51
51

Fluorescent lights cause buzzing in intercom system
Ever since I installed a 7-station intercom system (hard-wired), 20 years ago, I had an annoying buzz when I used the system in the evening, i.e. when three kitchen fluorescent lights were on. The...
16
16

Bath vanity, part II
We got the sumbitch out today. The key to removal was the 15" sidesplash. Used a razor knife from the top and then a putty knife to gently pry it off. Little damage to the wall and no breakage. Once I...

OT News from Canada
Give em a break eh. It was 7:25 in the morning. But you can't blame them for having large meaty canadian sausages on their minds...
3
3

Why every deck should have a railing
If you think they were created to NOT provide sufficient supervision and control, you are correct. (g)
2
2

Advantium 120 repair
I have one and last night while preheating the convection oven, there was a strange flash and poof and now the convection oven/broiler doesn't work. The speed cook and microwave still work. Is there...
18
18

Scorched Outlet and Plug from Furnace Blower Motor
Not normal, but saves putting in a switch. A switch is normal. Greg
24
24