Subject Author Posted Replies

Ridge Vent or Box Vents?
I have heard that ridge vents only work well if there are wide soffits, like 12" or more. On houses with narrow soffits, box vents are recommended. Any truth to this?
40
40

How to clean tile grout lines
My kitchen counter top has 4" ceramic tiles with 1/4" grout lines. Over the years, and in spite of regular cleaning, grease and dirt has accumulated in these slightly recessed grout lines and made...
8
8

Clogged toilet question
Hi All, One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th wonder of the world:...
22
22

Concrete vibrator info
I need some information regarding concrete vibrators. Does the head and shaft come in one piece, or two? Are there places where one can have longer shafts fabricated? Are they serviceable? Do you know...
9
9

Recommended tool list for new owner of a fixer-upper
My son just bought his first house. It's a bit of a fixer-upper. There are a lot of small to medium projects and a couple of major ones, such as a new deck and enclosing part of an open room. We...
21
21

Can a spinning motor generate electricity?
I had a small 10" household fan that must have developed a shorted motor winding, and began to trip the breaker. I tossed it in my scrap metal pile. One windy day I saw the fan blade spinning from the...
7
7

Re: Who is it?
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 22:38:22 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote: You spelled that wrong. He's a Moron!!! (there's only one "M" in the word).

There are 4 wires in the box
Put a big piece of copper to replace the main fuse, that should do it. Being drunk helps.
8
8

Alzheimers Alcoholics
Do Alcoholic AA members with Alzheimers forget they are in AA and sometimes drink? Are they banned from AA for doing so?
2
2

Shower handle wont turn
This house had the shower pipe capped (no head). There are three handles on the tub diverter. Hot - Cold - Shower (center one). The former owner told the new owner they never used showers, just the...

Chimney - is repair possible?
I own a property that has a badly damaged chimney. My guess is that the only real option is to have a new chimney built to replace it. But, just in case, I thought that I would post here to see if...
37
37

OT Surgery prices.
From Carpe Diem: CARPE DIEM: Markets in Everything: Market-Based, Deeply-Discounted Surgery for Cash, Payable in Advance
99
99

WAY OT ~ Vanguard funds
I've got to put some money (> $5k but less than $10k) in a IRA to avoid Fed income taxes Anyone have a suggestion on which Vanguard fund they would pick? Sorry for the OT post and my lack of $...
38
38

Is there a tool to fix deformed male hose ends
Seems no matter how much I try to avoid stepping on or driving over the ends of hoses, they manage to get deformed. Once that happens, there is no way to screw anything onto them. Most of the time...
8
8

Kitchen Countertop ReDo
The county where I live changed the water last year and everybody has calcium/lime deposits all over the place. I have Wilsonart laminate kitchen countertops....installed in 2003. The place behind the...
6
6