Subject Author Posted Replies

Sawsall Blade types for Wall Removal
Trying to cut away large sections of walls to be removed, which are plastered with lath and plaster (not sheetrock). This involves cutting thru the exterior of the house siding, 1" boards under it,...
12
12

Lawn Mower
Looking for informed opinions on Troy Bilt lawn mowers. Have the opportunity to purchase a couple of different models on sale. Both are in models with Honda 160cc motors. One is a push the other is a...
43
43

The electrical savings begin...
I finished converting one breaker box of a duplex into a sub-panel and had the power company disconnect the power to the half now supplied by the "sub-panel." (Several years ago the "duplex" was...
9
9

air conditioner in attic
I went to look at a house that had an inspection done on it and I got hold of the inspection report too. The report mentioned that in the attic the horizontal a/c unit is cooling correctly but there...
5
5

Chimney: B-vent on top of masonry possible?
I decided to start a new thread for this question. I had originally posted questions about this chimney on 4/7/2012 using the subject heading "Chimney - is repair possible?". Here is the specific...
5
5

What causes warped entry door?
This house had a double wooden entry door, each door being about 40" wide. One is rarely used; the other is for everyday use. The everyday door is bowed at the latch side toward the inside of the...
22
22

What is this???
Hey, I can be wrong, too. It's a hand washing detector. If you leave the house without washing your hands, it sends a text message to the Department of Silly Walks. The inspector will be by, shortly....
4
4

Ridge Vent or Box Vents - An Update
For those that don't recall the original thread, I had a roofing contractor tell me that my 6" soffits were too narrow to use a ridge vent and he recommended box vents instead. All a.h.r responders...
15
15

OT: Next year's NRA convention
"Innocent?" They're all infected. When I drive from Texas to Louisiana, about 200 yards from the border there's a sign on the right-of-way that reads: "You are leaving Texas. Come back real soon,...
7
7

OT| Important photo!
) http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/405085_3458163585321_1607823798_2842736_1730351367_n.jpg

An actual on topic question (electrical)
Just got done changing out a GFI outlet on the box next to my pool. It looks like everything is working okay, but the circuit tester indicates an open nuetral. Anything I need to look for or can I...
9
9

Toolbox comparison tests
Spoiler: Dewalt & Husky tied for first place. Kobalt came in last.
6
6

"Check Bulb" Warning Light
Just like those "Check Engine" warning lights in your car, the new CFL lightbulbs produced beginning April 1, 2012 come equipped with a "Check Bulb" warning light. When the bulb reaches a certain...
9
9

Where to find thin strips of stainless
I'm looking for thin pieces of stainless steel for making custom calipers. Kind of like these: 'm guessing that 5/16" to 3/8" wide would do it. Thick enough to discourage bending from casual use. I...
4
4

Remove? exposed tar coating on foundation cinder block
I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block. The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating...
5
5