10000 AC Quote

Hi;
I am being quoted the following to replace my AC and Furnace in Va. Amana 3 Ton 96% VARIABLE SPEED GAS FURNACE 14.5 SEER AIR CONDITIONING UNIT PLUS COIL, PAD FOR OUTDOOR A/C WITH DISCONNECT BOX AND NEW DIGITAL THERMOSTAT. LIFETIME HEAT EXCHANGER UNIT REPLACEMENT LIFETIME COMPRESSOR 10 YEARS PARTS AND 10 YEARS LABOR $9622 I am being quoted an additional 600 dollars for dual fuel for natural gas backup.
The firm says that Amana's waranty is the best in the industry. The estimater went out and looked at the house but did not conduct a Manual J or a Manual D. He says the old unit was a 3 ton and the new 3 tons are much more efficient than the old ones. So it will be just fine.
Is this bid inline with other products? I am trying to call different firms but each one carries a different brand unit so it is hard for me to compare.
Spending 10K is a lot of money and I want the best value I can get. Please provide name brands with good reps.
Thanks Pat
komobu wrote:

It depends upon your actual location in Va, but $10K sounds reasonable. You should however compare the net savings of this system to a less expensive system. If you can have a $5K system installed that costs less than $5K more to run and maintain over its life then you will have saved with the less expensive and less efficient system. Don't be fooled by warranty claims--most other name brands offer extended warranties. They aren't free, but then neither is Amana's, it's simply figured into the equipment price. Carrier, for example offers systems with lifetime warranted stainless heat exchangers, and for a bit extra you can get the10yr P&L. Even with the extended warranty I believe that they will be lower than Amana. They also run specials that are true discounts over the normal prices. The price of a comparable system may or may not be lower than 10K, it depends upon going rates in your area. Shop around, and keep in mind that the extended warranties offered should be figured in to the final figure in order to get a true comparison. What is more important than brand is the installation. A poor installation will cost you in future repairs and in energy savings. Even with full warranty you have no guarantee that the system is delivering it's advertised efficiency, or whether it is providing the degree of comfort that you paid for.
hvacrmedic
You need to get at least 2 other quotes. There are PLENTY of other qualified companies in the DC/NoVA area. Don't get hooked on "Amana has one of the best warranties in the industry". As I said, check around.....

Get another contractor. Goodman owns amana. That is a high bid. You could get Trane for that much money. Our company stopped selling Amana because of too many call-backs. Insist on a manual J, at least.
I agree with Kathy. The fact that he didn't do a manual J is a warning signal. The fact that it is more efficient than the old unit does not have anything to do with proper sizing . Size and efficiency are separate issues.
Size is like Horsepower, efficiency is like Miles Per Gallon.
Get another bid and dump this guy.
Stretch

High? High is relative. I could find you a dozen contractors in my area that charge more than that for the Amana quote. I could also find you a pile of guys that would do the job for $5K. Equal? No but its the same equipment. Most important is find a company that KNOWS what they are doing. Bubba
There are a lot of good brands on the market, but it's the installer that's much more important. I prefer Rheem/Ruud, but I've seen companies do bad installs on them also. Check the details of any warranty. I'm not familiar with Amana's, but if it says something like "must be authorized Amana dealer", then you're locked in. Heat loss/gain calculations are good, but the new equipment's size and corresponding CFM must match your existing duct work. If your house has had new windows and insulation since the existing equipment was installed, a heat loss/gain calculation should show that you need smaller equipment. If anyone comes back to you and says they did the calculations and you need larger equipment, show them the door. They are just trying to exploit the common consumer misconception that "bigger is better".

The 14.5 seer is more efficient so it willmaybe oversize you and leave you humid , if you are a bit oversized now you will really notice it this summer, Get a load calc done.
I'm not familiar with Amana, but I wouldn't think it's more than 2,000 BTUs. Most systems are already oversized a little. If a load calc shows a 2-1/2 ton, he'd probably be ok, but he still has to check CFMs.

komobu wrote:

I suggest you change your shopping plan.
First you should plan on at least three quotes.
Second, your first concern should be the professional installer, not what is installed. I say that because of two reasons.
No matter how good the equipment is, if it is not properly installed, it will not be a good system.
No good installer is going to suggest poor equipment. The local installer will know what equipment works well in your area and has parts available in your area etc.
Don't fall in love with a particular brand or feature.
As noted, the most efficient is not always the best buy and the cheapest is seldom the best buy.
Start asking around. Check with neighbors, friends, co-workers and family for names of good installers.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit