1000 BTU A/C

I'm looking for a source for a small A/C unit to supplement the central A/C for a room. Anyone have any ideas? I have not found anything so far.
Dave,
Not to be a real ass..but thats so small, it very well could be that you can fix the actual problem for less....
Wtih cac, you dont need supplemental cooling when it is installed correctly.....

Dave Boland wrote:

5000 BTU, maybe 5700; not 1000. I don't think they make them any smaller than that.
-Bob
Dave Boland wrote:

what a small unit at 5,000 btu will produce. the 5,000 but units go for about $150 and dont think you gonna find anything smaller than that...

This is Turtle.
Awwww, A 1,000 btu unit is going to be very small. I don't know anybody who make a unit that small for hvac stuff. Now the best you can hope for is maybe use a bigger unit from walmarts like a 5,800 btu Fedders on sale this week for $79.00. Now Fedders is the cheapest piece of junk the industry has to offer but maybe you will not kill it if you run it on low speed and not use it much. Now a whirlpool [ good stuff ] is going to run you about $150.00 to $175.00 for this same size.
Like CB said you maybe able to get a better ability out of your central system and make up for 1,000 btu's anytime . A system can be modified a little and easily get 1,000 btus more out of it.
TURTLE
I've worked on a lot of window AC, and the smallest I've seen is about 4,000 BTU. Plastic case, adn a carry handle. I think they even called them "carry cool" units.
My first thought was that you had typed 10,000 BTU. If that were the case, most home centers have that size for $300 more or less.
But if you only need a tiny suppliment for one room, that sounds more like an air balancing problem. Or maybe the system needs the annual clean and check.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Dave Boland wrote:

Thanks for all of the input. Rebalancing the central system does help, but the problem is that the heat output in this room is constant due to the computer and some power supplies. The only way to make it comfortable is to keep the CAC system running about 60% of the hour, which drives up the electric bill as it cools the entire house.
Dave,
If its a long run fron the furnace you mght try a booster duct fan, or just get a regular small AC and only use when needed.

This is Turtle.
If it is worth running your computor equipment , It must be worth getting a suppliment cooling system to go with it. If you let you equipment get hot. it will cost you in the long run on replacing it. Pay now or pay later.
Get you a Walmart / Fedders / 5,800 btu window unit for $69.00 or $79.00 or the good stuff Whirlpool for about $150.00 and save your equipment from wear and tear.
The only other solution would be to get a booster fan and not use it in the supply air but use by it'self and pull air out of the room and back to the return air of the hvac system. this fan would run all the time as need be but would have to pull about 300 to 400 cu. ft. per minute of air. If like you say you only need 1,000 btu.s here. All you need is more air entering the room to cool it.
TURTLE

I have the same problem and I just got a 12" fan and put it on the floor near the doorway pointing up a little. This will pick up the cooler air at floor level and cause the warmer air to exit through the top of the door.
--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired
DB> I'm looking for a source for a small A/C unit to supplement the central DB> A/C for a room. Anyone have any ideas? I have not found anything so far
I don't recall one that small at the store where I work. Read later you needed for your Computer Room. What I would suggest is the smallest "bedroom" window a/c. The 'bedroom' units are quieter -- there's enough noise with the various fans in the computers!
I have such a unit in here (my Computer Room) and the UPSs don't chirp nor kick in when the a/c compressor starts.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* 1971: Peace sign 2001: Mercedes logo
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971