10-yr Old Whirlpool Dryer, not drying...

Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.
I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has had theirs for that long and some 15+ years!
Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the clothes to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the exhaust pipe, etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as to what would be causing this inefficiency?

Yes, an exhaust vent pipe clogged with lint.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Thanks, I'll try cleaning that, first, and then take it from there. The vent pipe is going behind the tub, but I think I can snake something through it to get it cleaned.
wrote on 17 Feb 2005:

Take the lint filter out, run a slow stream of water over it. Does the water go through the filter? If not, clean it with ordanary dish soap. Try it again, and you'll see how much water passes (all should pass). Dry it off and I'll bet your dryer will work much better.
Dave
Will try that, as well.
I cleaned the lint filter, but didn't run water through it. Good advice, thanks.

Gregory wrote:

You say Electric and you say the last couple of weeks. That would tend to suggest not a venting problem as a venting problem would have come on slow, but rather an electric problem.
My guess is you are now drying with only 120V rather than 240V. That could be a breaker that has been tripped, but if it has been installed correctly it would have tripped both legs and nothing would have worked. I suggest that you have a wiring problem, likely a burned connection at the heater elements.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I'll check the breakers, too. I hadn't thought of that...

Gregory wrote:

had
clothes
pipe,
be
Hi,
Model#? Names do little to ID the dryer. http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# help.

clothes
A copy:
Quick info tips.... Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load
A1- Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.
A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground ( http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html ). Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer ( http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+pocther.html ) can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and 160 degrees. Check that the drum seals are not worn out.
Excellent, thanks!

Gregory wrote:

Please let us know the resolution.
BTW I have used an electric leaf blower to blow lint ot of the whole system from right inside the dryer.
BTW#2 If the outside air outlet has a door with hinged louvers make sure they open easily.
LB

clothes
Do the clothes get warm when they dry? If not, you may have an electrical part in the back that is bad. I had to put in a "kit" on my whirlpool. It lasted a while, but I suspect I also had a clogged vent (mine goes up through the roof) and it stopped drying again. B