10-yr Old Whirlpool Dryer, not drying...

Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has had theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the clothes to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the exhaust pipe, etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as to what would be causing this inefficiency?

Reply to
Gregory

"Gregory" wrote on 17 Feb 2005:

Yes, an exhaust vent pipe clogged with lint.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

"Gregory" wrote in news:52bfb$42156f5a$44ef0487$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Take the lint filter out, run a slow stream of water over it. Does the water go through the filter? If not, clean it with ordanary dish soap. Try it again, and you'll see how much water passes (all should pass). Dry it off and I'll bet your dryer will work much better.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly

You say Electric and you say the last couple of weeks. That would tend to suggest not a venting problem as a venting problem would have come on slow, but rather an electric problem.

My guess is you are now drying with only 120V rather than 240V. That could be a breaker that has been tripped, but if it has been installed correctly it would have tripped both legs and nothing would have worked. I suggest that you have a wiring problem, likely a burned connection at the heater elements.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Model#? Names do little to ID the dryer.

model# help.

A copy:

Quick info tips.... Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load

A1- Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground (

). Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer (
) can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and

160 degrees. Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Do the clothes get warm when they dry? If not, you may have an electrical part in the back that is bad. I had to put in a "kit" on my whirlpool. It lasted a while, but I suspect I also had a clogged vent (mine goes up through the roof) and it stopped drying again. B

Reply to
Brian Oakley

Thanks, I'll try cleaning that, first, and then take it from there. The vent pipe is going behind the tub, but I think I can snake something through it to get it cleaned.

Reply to
Gregory

Will try that, as well.

I cleaned the lint filter, but didn't run water through it. Good advice, thanks.

Reply to
Gregory

Reply to
Gregory

Excellent, thanks!

Reply to
Gregory

Please let us know the resolution.

BTW I have used an electric leaf blower to blow lint ot of the whole system from right inside the dryer.

BTW#2 If the outside air outlet has a door with hinged louvers make sure they open easily.

LB

Reply to
LB