10 year old TV repair

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
My TV set (Zenith) just started displaying strange colors. The image is still clear, except that, I see 3 vertical bands, one too much red, one too much green and one too much blue, I know they are the basic colors, what I don't know, is it easy to fix it.
Does someone here knows is it the tube, magnet or soemthing else.
It seems to me that 10 year isn't that much for a TV set,
Thanks.

Average is closer to 7 or 8 years.
I don't know what the problems is, but there is a TV newsgroup that may be of more help to you. As for getting it repaired, that depends on the size of the TV and the cost of repair. Small TVs can be had for $100. Ed

That can't be right. It's got to be closer to 15+.
I have 3 sets that are at least that old and the only reason I haven't tossed them is because they simply work.
Hell, one of the sets I use is pushing 25 years.

I have one t hat lasted less than five years bringing the average back down quite a bit. There are exceptions and fortunately, you have one of them One of my sets is 8 years and while it still works, it is in need of repair. It has been sent to a little used bedroom.
As for the 25 year old set you have, it is probably better built and has better circuitry than some of the cheapos around today. Ed

No, I have 3 of them. The average is back up again. ;)
Seriously - I know quite a few people who have old clunkers well over 8 years old. It's certainly not "uncommon" at all.

Well - define works. My sets are not pristine by any measure. One has the UHF knob missing, but I don't care anyway because it's always on channel 3 for the cable box. The manual volume knob can get a little dirty sometimes requiring me to spray some cleaner on the potentiometer so I don't get that "crackling" noise when adjusting the volume.

I would agree with that. I dread the day it dies and I have to toss it out. It will take 3 people just to get it out to the curb!

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!
Steve B

I've had the same monitor now for going on 7 years.

My Sony Multiscan 15SF monitor is 10 yrs old this year.(So is my Sony VCR) Of course it cost twice what the cheapies did back then. Could get 2 17's for the same $$ today.
Rudy wrote:

Wish my monitors quit(~8 years old) so I can have excuse to buy new ones. Never had problems with them since I bought it 8 years ago. Tony

http://allsands.com/Home/appliancelifee_tzm_gn.htm
http://www.cccssacto.org/tips/lifeex.html
Differing opinions between 7 and 12 years. Ed

Yves wrote:

will cost you more than a new one... we had a $1200 floor model about that old and threw it out and went to walmart for a 26 in. phillips portable and put it in a $2,000 real wood entertainment center.. now the next time we need a tv we can get a $200 tv from walmart instead of paying a repair of over $200 to nurse the old one along... 10 yrs. is max for a TV... its just that from watching it so long you got so use to the bad picture that you did not see how really bad the picture was for so long... thats the problem we had... never even knew the BLUE gun was out on the TV set until we say a new tv in the stores... then realized that we were watching junk for so long....

Dosen't that describe TV in general?
Barry
See if you can find a tv repair place that gives free estimates. I have 2 small tvs that would have cost 450 to replace both, i got them both fixed for 200 several yrs later they are ok. Im just tried of throwing things away. But these were tvs that had little use were old and the repair shop was close. If you have watched it every day for a few hrs, then it may not be worth it , tubes and components deteriorate wih use. New tvs are cheap.
Good advice, but I haven't seen a repair shop that gives free estimates in 15 years! After all, it takes longer to diagnose the problem than it does to fix it. They gotta charge for that time.

OK, for 20 bucks, I'll tell you where it is <G>
10 yrs. is

Picture is fine on my 1987 vintage Toshiba. One of the early stereo units. Still going strong. Refuses to die. Have another set , mid 80's Zenith. Was Grandma's set. Rotary mechanical tuner is bad but I use a satellite dish with it so as long as it gets channel 3 I am all set.

Phosphors wear out. Your picture is NOT fine on either set. It's lousy! It has happened gradually, so you haven't noticed the degradation in quality. That Zenith never had a very good picture. Even when new, the cherry reds were all sort of orange.
BB
Yves wrote:

I am not totally clear about the problem, but about the only thing I can think of that might be descried that way and might be worth fixing would be if the picture tube needs to be degaussed, and your description does not exactly fit that one. Other than that, the fix is the same for almost every other problem, buy a new one. It is cheaper than fixing almost anything else and will come with a warrantee and likely a better quality TV.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

The yoke has slipped out of position on the neck of the tube. At ten years old, it probably isn't worth fixing.
BB