10 Yard Dumpster Weighs over 4 Tonnes?

I just rented a 10 yard dumpster that I filled with hollow doors, wood trim, some tile, dirt, grass, garbage, etc. The dumpster was overfilled when picked up. Yet, I was astonished to find out that it weighed in at over 2 tones (over 4,000 lbs)! Does this sound possible or do you think that the renter may be trying to over-state the weight. FYI - I'm being charged by the tone.

Reply to
Billy

Doesn't the dump issue a weight ticket?

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
John Keiser

It could be, especially if you had a large amount of dirt.

Did you get a copy of the weigh ticket? Every place I dealt with has a ticket showing the weight of the vehicle going in, then going out. As an example, I sent our 26 foot truck to the corrugated re-cycle place yesterday. According to the slip, it had 3680 pounds on it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

very easily depending on excactly what was in there in what quantity. For example, 1 yard of gravel is roughly 1 ton. It's really amazing how fast the weight adds up.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian

I could easily top two tons. Since you know the weight, I'm assuming you were given a copy of the scale slip. Those scales are generally certified, and I would feel comfortable with it's accuracy.

Reply to
thunder

We filled 2 18-yard dumpsters cleaning out my mother's house. I can EASILY believe that there was 8000 pounds in each one (4 tons, twice what you had).

I do know that dirt weighs just over a ton per yard.

Also, remember they probably round to the ton or half ton at least.

Reply to
Andrew Duane USG

telnet://Time.Darktech.Org

I am surprised that it didn't weigh more. What was noted on the certified scale ticket you received?

Reply to
George

We just covered this exact same question.

BTW where is this "To: alt.home.repair" coming from, I don't remember it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan