10 Tools every kid should master

Page 1 of 2
From the editors of Popular Mechanics:
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1
What tool would you add to the list?
replying to HeyBub , passerby wrote:

I would delete one. Chain saw? *Every* kid should *master* chain saw? Husqvarna must've paid good money to slip that one in!
On 5/22/2013 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Combination square, tape measure, hand plane (start w/ simple block plane) for starters.

+1

<http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use? click=pp#slide-1>

I'd *delete* all three power saws, and add: - tape measure - automobile jack & lug wrench - hand plane - sharpening stone - sandpaper - files & rasps

The ages are kind of silly. My 4 y/o grandson is using my cordless drill and my drill press, with lots of help and close supervision (like my hands on his) from grandpa. My 6 y/o grandson uses a tape measure just fine. They both use my block plane.
My 40 y/o daughter asked me to come change a tire. I pulled up next to her, got out of my car, leaned on my fender, and said "First, you take out the jack..."
-- Doug -- Doug
On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:05:34 -0500, Douglas Johnson

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and they did it.
news:pg7up8l7jvocb1faq4hdqr63mh3ih1afu9@ 4ax.com:

I made sure my kids knew how to change a tire as soon as they were strong enough to do it, probably somewhere around age 12.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:52:42 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Hey dad, can we get ice cream? Yeah, as soon as you change that tire!

d...

ill and my

is) from

h use my

t to her,

the

Amen, it saves a lot of phone calls at night later on.
Douglas Johnson wrote:

I mentioned the same thing to my current squeeze. Her reply was along the same lines as: "I have a membership in AAA to change a tire. It's exactly the same reasoning a I would use in paying a dentist to pull a tooth instead of doing it myself."

I don't exactly agree with her logic but there are some situations where it's better to call AAA. If you have an outside (traffic side) tire go flat and you are stuck on the freeway in heavy traffic, changing it yourself can get you killed. A friend of my Dad's got killed doing that.

As seldom as tires go, these days, I can't fault the logic in that. I doubt that half the spares in the country are usable. I know at least one of mine isn't (rusted to the frame).

..

+1

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?
Dear Wilma, Betty said rocks were OK in her house. Barney hasn't had any trouble. Fred.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s13X66BFd8
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
LOL! I still vote for 'rock' It's a tool I've used many a time outside. However, not so much inside, as the Ms. has put restrictions on that.
10. Cap, that goes on the end of the tooth paste tube. 9. Book to read, to stay occupied in idle moments 8. Handrail, while going up and down stairs 7. Toothbrush, so you don't stink so much 6. Trashcan, location for empty food containers, not the refrig 5. Towel for wiping up messes 4. light switch / turn off 3. close the damn door 2. rotary dial phone 1. flush toilet
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

earn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1>

Butterknife. How else would you tighten a screw?
On Thu, 23 May 2013 08:03:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Clever !!

Stupidest list I've seen in awhile.
On what planet does a utility knife qualify as a pocket knife? Why "needle nose" pliers? Most ppl have no clue what electronics are. Why a circular saw if one has a hand saw? A ladder? A soldering iron? A....?? forget it! This is list of 10 things MI wishes you'd buy from their advertisers. Nothing more.
nb
Considering all the dumb tools in that list, I can't help wondering why they completely ignored tools that I find I use all the time:
[image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Digital_Multimeter_Aka.jpg/220px-Digital_Multimeter_Aka.jpg ]
1. a digital multimeter
[image:
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Reviews/HF_digital_caliper/in_box.jpg ]
2. a digital caliper
[image:
http://almabolt.com/images/Bolts/threadgauge1.jpg ] 3. a screw thread gauge
[image:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WvWFQy1DL._SY300_.jpg ] 4. a 30 power magnification jeweller's loupe, which amongst other things allows you to check the sharpness and condition of your cutting tools and drill bits just by looking at them.
5. a pair of locking pliers which in my view is what a kid needs to fix his bike more than needle nose pliers. This site limits the number of images in any post to 4, so I took out the locking pliers because everyone knows what they look like.
Magazines like Popular Mechanics pay freelance writers to write articles for publication, and the tools in this article were just whatever some guy happened to think of in five minutes worth of thinking. But, I agree the chain saw is a stupid idea. I can see more ways a kid could hurt himself with a chain saw than I can see reasons why a kid would ever need to use a chain saw. And, I can see lots of reasons why any kid might need to use any of the five tools I've suggested in this post.
--
nestork