1 Story Post-War Home

I am gutting and removing all exterior and interior walls on my 1/2 top floor completely and going with a full story.
My question is this.
When the exterior walls are built by the contractor, is it normal to just nail the exterior walls into the top (header maybe) of the main floor walls? I am wondering if this is typical and enough strength wise since I live in the east coast of Canada and we often get high winds (tail ends of Hurricanes - 90 - 130 km/hr) during hurricane season. We actually were hit directly by Hurricane Juan (Cat 1 - 2) and last hurricane season (summer/fall of 07) we had wind gusts from a tropical depression up to 130 km/hr.
I am wondering if the exterior walls should be bolted down with a big type of lag bolt. Is just nailing the exterior walls typical and enough strength wise?
I am gutting and removing all exterior and interior walls on my 1/2 top floor completely and going with a full story.
My question is this.
When the exterior walls are built by the contractor, is it normal to just nail the exterior walls into the top (header maybe) of the main floor walls? I am wondering if this is typical and enough strength wise since I live in the east coast of Canada and we often get high winds (tail ends of Hurricanes - 90 - 130 km/hr) during hurricane season. We actually were hit directly by Hurricane Juan (Cat 1 - 2) and last hurricane season (summer/fall of 07) we had wind gusts from a tropical depression up to 130 km/hr.
I am wondering if the exterior walls should be bolted down with a big type of lag bolt. Is just nailing the exterior walls typical and enough strength wise?

When you got your building permit and submitted your plans, what did they say?
--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Nothing was said. I just received my permit and hired the contractor we had in mind. So far everything is going well, but I am wondering about this nailing thing. I just hope the new full story doesn't blow down in the wind, possibly injuring or killing someone if not all.

Must be a pretty boring place if there are zero stories !!!!
The Home Wrecker
----- I'll wreck your home and your marriage all on the same day...........

It has worked like that for the past 100 years or so, but add lags if you wish

It is easy to see the difference between a house built to a wind code and one that only looks at down load. The "download" house is scattered across the yard in a minor wind storm. In Florida you are required to strap the floors to the foundation, the walls strap to the floor, the roof straps to the wall. Houses built this way will hold up to triple digit wind speeds. All you need, to see this in action, is to look at hurricane pictures and see the houses built to the "post-Andrew" wind code. They are the ones still standing.
On Wed, 7 May 2008 09:00:08 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Who makes sure the inspectors are honest? After Hurricane Andrew; it became obvious to investigators that county inspectors has "greasy palms". Numerous inspectors were indicted.
OP might want to look at the new hurricane codes in South Florida.