1 or 2 stage thermostats ???

Someone posted this comment in a message >>>>>>>>>>>>

I really liked my Honeywell 3500, but that is only 1 stage 'stat. Thanks!

I don't have a 2 stage furnace, but the above implies that the themostats are made for ONE or TWO stage furnaces.

Are thermostats made for ONE or TWO stage furnaces ??

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Yes, 2 stages and more! Get into commercial work and muti-staged stats are common, of course there is mutiple staged equipment too. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Can 2-stage stats be found at retail, a la Lowe's or Home Depot? I was looking over a bunch today and there was nary a one at Lowe's that specifically stated "2 stage".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Landry

They sell one Honeywell that is a real POS that is 2 stage. I dont have a clue why you would go there to buy one, since if it does not work right, there is no support...the prices are stupid compared to what you get...and the local big box stores have all but killed any returns, since

90% of the time its NOT the stat that is a problem..

Reply to
steve

Probably closer to 99%. It's like blaming the switch if your light bulb doesn't work.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software

Gary R. Lloyd

I did find a Honeywell on the web, I believe it was an 8000 model (likely not the exact number) for 109.99. The description sounded like it would do everything but walk the dog and lock up the house for the night! =8) Unfortunately, it also said it needed a remote unit that sold for 134.99 so $245 and change for this combo. Plus, it definitely did NOT look like something the average DIY person could install.

It was the only one listed that was 2 stage heat/one stage cool, which I assumed would be the correct one for a furnace/central air combo.

Guess I'll check with the contractor when he shows up on Monday.

Reply to
Bob Landry

Hi Conase, hope you are having a nice day

On 19-Nov-04 At About 00:39:12, Conase wrote to All Subject: 1 or 2 stage thermostats ???

C> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mado (Conase)

C> Someone posted this comment in a message >>>>>>>>>>>> I really liked C> my Honeywell 3500, but that is only 1 stage 'stat. Thanks!

C> I don't have a 2 stage furnace, but the above implies that the C> themostats are made for ONE or TWO stage furnaces.

C> Are thermostats made for ONE or TWO stage furnaces ??

Yes, if you have a two stage system you are better off with a two stage thermostat.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Bob, hope you are having a nice day

On 18-Nov-04 At About 12:36:51, Bob Landry wrote to All Subject: Re: 1 or 2 stage thermostats ???

BL> From: Bob Landry

BL> Can 2-stage stats be found at retail, a la Lowe's or Home Depot? I BL> was looking over a bunch today and there was nary a one at Lowe's BL> that specifically stated "2 stage".

I don't think they do. I have never seen a 2 stage stat sold anywhere other than an hvac supply house.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2