1" flexible hose with threaded ends?

I will call my insurance agency right now.

Ignoramus23410

I checked with my insurance agent. They do not have any exclusions for pools. If something unexpectedly happens, we'll be covered. They will fax me a summary of my insurance and will mail me the brochure with the full policy.

I do not expect big trouble tomorrow, because the kids are big enough not to drown in that very shallow pool, the pool is soft and the slide is low. But you are right, it pays to be careful.

Ignoramus23410

Your pump sounds`awful big at 1 HP. I moved lots more water than that with a 1/2 HP shallow well pump. A smaller pump with a bigger hose or more hoses is the way to go. But since you already have the pump, I would use it till it croaks. But I WOULD add a couple of hoses, within limits, the more water the better. Put a manifold on the pump, connect all the hoses to the manifold. Do the same on the suction so you don't starve the pump.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

In these days of greedy tort lawyers (and their plaintiffs) looking for "jackpot" lawsuits, one must be very, very careful.

My concern is not just the pool but also the slide. A kid could fall or slip or twist a joint, etc. You might want to call back your insurance agent and tell them about your homemade slide (since it's not a commercially-produced item). Just to be sure that it isn't excluded.

I hate having to even think about this stuff. What happened to the good ole' days when, through the power of common sense, people knew that life wasn't perfect?

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

it looks about right for a 1 HP motor, of the modern compact hot running 3450 rpm variety.

It is described here:

Yes, I will get a big hose. Maybe even 1.5" (reduced to 1" at inlet) for incoming flow, and 1" for outflow. Will report my results tonight.

Ignoramus23410

Here's an idea if you find that a larger (or multiple) hose(s) is/are flowing too much water to the slide: add a T-valve or T-fitting and dump some of the excess flow back to the pool (perhaps make it swirl the pool water). That way, you aren't overworking the pump (by trying to force water through a restricted hose) and you can control how much water goes down the slide.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Good idea. I will buy a T fitting, maybe with a valve. At the maximum flow of 720 GPH, that works out to a gallon every 5 seconds. You can visualize it as a 5 gallon bucket of water emptied onto the slide every 25 seconds. I do not think that the flow will be too much. If my guess is correct, I will return the T fitting back to the store, if you are right, I will avoid trouble tomorrow.

Ignoramus23410

Shawn, if the pump is working against a restriction in the line (5/8" hose in this case,) and is designed for 1" output, then it's sure working hard against that restriction. Opening up the orfice (to what it was more or less designed to do) might well drop the amperage use as it won't have to work as hard to move more water through a less restrictive aperture.....

Bill in Phx.Az.

Reply to
BillP

Try this exercise. Take a drinking straw and try to breathe through it. You will find it difficult and you will spend much energy getting a little bit of air through.

Then take a 1" ID pipe and try breathing through that.

Your throughput will be much greater but you will work LESS.

Same applies to a pump. Working against restriction wastes energy and reduces flow.

In fact, I installed new hoses, reinforced plastic type, tonight. The flow increased at least twice.

Ignoramus23410

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Yeah, it was still pretty funny, just the thing for that moment.

Reply to
JohnM

Apples and oranges. Your lungs operate as a positive displacement pump. Your water pump is (I will bet) a centrifugal pump. Like a vacuum cleaner.

Try this exercise. Turn on your shop-vac. Listen to the motor pitch. Block the suction. Listen to the motor pitch.

If you measured the current, you would also notice that your vacuum draws less current with the intake blocked. So does your centrifugal water pump. Block the suction side of the pump and listen.

To lots of folks, this characteristic of centrifugal pumps is counterintuitive. But it still is fact, counterintuitive or not.

Dale Scroggins

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

message

current

therefore it

getting

Of course it did-but if it's a centrifugal pump, increasing the outlet restriction (reducing the flow) decreases the horsepower requirement....

Reply to
Rick

Shawn's right on this one, as long as it's a centrifugal or constant head pump. The pressure put up is nearly constant. Work and amps are related to throughput. Look at a pump curve.

This doesn't hold for "positive" displacement pumps. Throughput will be fairly constant, restricting the output will increase the pressure in the pump, and draw more amps. Restrict it enough and you may open a relief, either designed or otherwise.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

In article , Dale Scroggins wrote: : :Apples and oranges. Your lungs operate as a positive displacement pump. : Your water pump is (I will bet) a centrifugal pump. Like a vacuum :cleaner. : :Try this exercise. Turn on your shop-vac. Listen to the motor pitch. :Block the suction. Listen to the motor pitch. : :If you measured the current, you would also notice that your vacuum :draws less current with the intake blocked. So does your centrifugal :water pump. Block the suction side of the pump and listen. : :To lots of folks, this characteristic of centrifugal pumps is :counterintuitive. But it still is fact, counterintuitive or not.

Absolutely! A centrifugal pump is, approximately, a constant pressure device, that pressure being determined by the density of the fluid and the RPM and geometry of the pump. It does minimum work at zero flow (total restriction) and maximum work when the flow is unrestricted and the pump is accelerating large volumes of fluid to the speed of the outer rim of the rotor.

I've burned out the starting relay on a sump pump by operating the pump without sufficient restriction on its output. Reducing the diameter of the discharge line from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" solved the problem and brought the current draw of the motor down within spec. I also have an old 1/4 HP belt-driven blower taken out of an old home heating furnace. It ran for many years pushing air against the restriction of the ductwork. When run without that restriction as an exhaust blower, the motor couldn't get off the starting winding until I changed the pulleys to reduce the blower RPM.

For a centrifugal pump, more restriction results in less work for the pump.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Dale is right. Same principle applies to most air handlers.

Reply to
ATP*

"Tom Quackenbush"

Hehe, one of my favorite pasttimes as a child was digging holes in the backyard. I'd invite a friend over and we'd spend all afternoon digging and then playing in our "foxhole". Cheap fun, and good exercise.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I agree, digging holes was good times. Somehow my father got the idea that that meant I'd really enjoy double digging the garden. Fathers sure were dumb back then.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I have been reading this group for years but have never posted as I don't like the idea of my mail box filling with spam.

One comment on this thread leaves me with no choice. Maybe I misunderstood, but I got the impression that you have a hose on the suction side of a 1 HP pump laying in the bottom of a childs pool.

All swimming pools these days have multiple inlet openings in the pool so that nobody can get any body orifices sealed directly to the suction of the recirculation pump. Years ago there was a horrendous case where a child sat on the single inlet opening in an improperly installed pool and was disemboweled when the suction of the pump sucked her intestines from her body.

PLEASE either put in a tee and use two suction hoses in the pool or drill multiple holes in the first six inches or so of the suction hose. Kids are likely to like the feel of the water flowing into that hose and accidents can happen.

On a lighter note, it is common practice when designing control systems to throttle the discharge of a centrifical pump to control the flow. The current draw does decrease as flow is reduced by this method. Never restrict the inlet side of the pump as it will then sound like it is pumping marbles due to the cavitation caused by the extreme low pressure in the suction of the pump. This also leads to early destruction of the impeller of the pump.

Ron

Ignoramus6998 wrote:

Reply to
Ron

Ya know, you could use a 1" hose and drill holes all over it. I mean a ton of holes, so the hose becomes pretty much a mesh tube. That way you'll protect the inlet, won't have too much suction at any one opening, and it'll eliminate that chunk of concrete. Softer is better! It'll pull most of the water from the end by default, but should anything block that it'll draw through the sides without much effort.

Reply to
B.B.