1" flexible hose with threaded ends?

I made a water slide for my 4 year old today. I used a Wayne 1 HP pump from Farm and Fleet, and their garden hose adapter.

The pump has openings for 1" pipe (1" NPT), and adapters for garden hose, which is what I used.

I suspect that if I could use a 1" hose instead, I would greatly improve water throughput and reduce load on the pump. The lift is only about 2 feet. It may increase to maybe 4 feet if/when my son would want a more exciting ride.

The setup recirculates water in an inflatable pool. The kid, is, in fact, absolutely thrilled and could be barely dragged away from the water slide, crying.

So, my question is, where can I find garden hose-like flexible hose threaded for 1" NPT? I only need one threaded end, preferably male but could be female.

Thanks

Ignoramus6998

Any hardware store should have the hose and everything else. They sell the hose by the foot. Then you just need a fitting with the 1" thread on on end and a hose insert on the other end. Add a hose clamp and you're done.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Just a thought, but how about trying one of those "Y" adaptors that lets you feed two garden hoses from one sillcock and running two pieces of

5/8" or 3/4" garden hose. Might be easier to move around than a 1" hose, and you could easily make up the correct minimum hose lengths with some female "repair couplers".

It'd also tell you if your theory about more lift with less flow restriction will get you what you're looking for.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Take the kid to a water park. That thing will ruin your lawn.

Reply to
G Henslee

Just get the adaptor that goes from garden hose thread to 1" NPT. I've bought from Lowes/HomeDepot and used them before.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

That's a quite interesting thought actually. I might try it.

Ignoramus6998

It is all installed on a concrete covered area.

Ignoramus6998

Well concrete underneath should be real 'forgiving' on human bones, skulls, etc.

May I ask, how you came about that identity? ;)

Reply to
G Henslee

So what? Grass seed is cheap! In 15 years the kid will be gone and then you can watch the grass grow all you want! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Do you have GFI protection on the pump and some type of impact absorbing material in the fall zone? AFA the hose, Home Despot has adapters you could use with a combination of poly and vinyl tubing.

Reply to
ATP*

Yes, it is installed on GF protected outlet.

Thanks for the concern, the "slide" only falls about 2-3 feet. It is not steep. I initially made it about 5" tall, but had to change to about 2-3 feet as my son was afraid of such height and quick entry into water. Whatever, it is for him anyway.

Ignoramus6998

Jeez, you sound like my (childless) Aunt. Does anybody with little kids actually have time for a nice lawn?

I'm childless, too - my lawn is imperfect because I'm laz^H^H^H attuned to nature. Yeah, that's the ticket, I'm attuned to nature.

I guess I had a warped childhood. We thought that "lawns" were for old people. We thought that "the grass" was for walking on and playing on, not for admiring. Good place to pick nightcrawlers on rainy nights, too. Actually, even "the grass" was a misnomer, unless your definition of grass includes dandelions, crabgrass, plantain, violets, clover and lord knows what else.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

After a few run ins with our village administration for too tall grass, I am forced to mow the lawn at least sometimes. I must ensure that the grass is under 1 foot tall, which is about all I care for. I guess I am also "attuned to nature", haha.

Ignoramus6998

I hope that child remembers how good of Dad he has when he becomes a teenager. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

I don't worry about damage to small areas of the lawn. But I find if I keep it healthy, well fed, aerated and cut it frequently it makes a nicer playing/practice field for my six year olds. When they graduate from Power Wheels and T-ball it's going to be a much bigger challenge to keep the grass alive.

Reply to
ATP*

Hey Iggy,

Great idea for the kids. Anyway, why not buy a "hose barb" with 1" NPT thread, the correct size of clamp and as many feet of that black PVC water pipe tube to fit the barb. They come in both galvanized and nylon(??) and available at most hardware, and all lawn sprinkler-system places at fairly reasonable prices.

Whudja make the "slide" out of?

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I don't want to "nanny" you, but you do know that a 2-3 foot fall onto concrete is nothing to ignore, especially for a little one, right?

Btw, I'm sure many of us would like to see photos of your project. Did you make the ramp out of wood?

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I hope so too. I took some pictures today.

Ignoramus6998

Yes, I will visit some store and see if they have 1" stuff.

I just bought the slide at Home Depot. It is a plastic slide for playgrounds.

Ignoramus6998

Yes, but, I think, it is relatively safe. The ramp is sensibly (I think) made, I did not paint or varnish the wood.

Yes, the ramp is made from wood. I did take digital pictures today, very many, so I hope that some of them will be good. My USB card reader is misbehaving, but if I manage to load some pictures, I will post them on my website and will announce it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ignoramus6998