1/8" or 1/4" black tape? Making "stained glass"

I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...
I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.
My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.
Any suggestions?
Noozer wrote:

Go to a store that sells doll houses and accessories. They have an aluminum tape that is used as electric circuits in doll houses (taped to doll house walls before covering it with wallpaper. The doll house lamp wires and pointed plugs are just stuck into the wall so they contact the tape). I have used the 1/4" size, but I don't know if they have it any thinner. You could cut it down the middle.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Noozer wrote:

Apply some painter's tape and paint it black. Trim out joints with a razor blade, prior to painting, where the lines cross. Acryllic paint should be easy to scrape off smoothe glass with a razor blade scraper. There is stuff at hobby stores - Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics - that is applied like caulk and makes a raised "lead" line, but I've never used it. There is also a gel medium, at the same stores or art stores - that is used to thicken and raise artist's acryllics; it might make your lead lines look more real; also have metallic color acryllic paints to mix with it. You can use a thinning medium with acryllic paint for the colored "glass" part of your project, but would take a bit of experimenting.
Noozer wrote:

Do you really want it dead flat like electrical tape? That's going to look fake, not faux. Check out Decra Led - it's a self-adhesive lead tape with a profile and is a good way to go for the leaded glass look (stained glass is colored glass). The stuff isn't dirt cheap like electrical tape, but it will last far longer and look far better. If you want it black you can use one of the brush on chemical patination liquids.
Noozer wrote:

That is likely not tape, but adhesive three dimensional cane (lead).

Depending on what you are going to put it on, try the auto parts store for some pin-striping tape.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hey Joe. It's actually called came - don't ask me why. Cane would make sense, came doesn't, but since I didn't get to vote, it's came. Go figure.
RicodJour wrote:

I knew I was likely to miss on that one when I wrote it. I guess I should have checked.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

C'mon, Giuseppe, if you made _no_ mistakes it'd make the rest of us feel bad. ;)
I've used this stuff: Redi Lead: http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/8443/Plaid-Redi-Lead-Strips.htm It's lasted on some glass ornaments I've used for 2 or 3 years without a problem. You get 21 or 24 feet of the stuff for less than $6
Noozer wrote:

Google for "chart tape."
--
-- Steve

How about black or dark gray latex caulk? It seems like it would be much easier to control and perform. If you want to remove later, just use a razor blade scraper. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Noozer wrote:

I was just at Staples and in the art-sign area they had tape of various widths and colors. After seeing that, it reminded me I have seen even wider selections in hobby - craft stores. A true hobby shop will also have it, for use on models.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Check the discount auto stores for rolls of press on pin-striping.

Thanks all!
I'm sure that "chart tape" won't be permanent on glass and should do the job.
I'll do some more digging for "came" as well. I haven't had much luck finding something here in Calgary, or for order in Canada.
Noozer wrote:

Not too much would be truly permanent on glass. The brand of chart tape I'm familiar with is ChartPak http://www.chartpak.com/index2.html Their retailers in Calgary:
Lewiscraft - Chinook Centre (403)212-4020 6455 Macleod Trail South 2174 N Calgary, AB T2H 0K3
Lewiscraft - Marlborough Mall (403) 285-6132 1141-3800 Memorial Drive Way NE Unit 2a Calgary, AB T2A 2K2
Michaels - Calgary, AB (403) 246-3336 5588 Signal Hill Centre SW Calgary, AB T3H 3P8

If automotive pinstripping tape will work for what you want it should be cheap enough. Tereis usally a rack of it at most auto parts stores
Try this link to Delphi Stained Glass supplies. 108' roll black back copper foil in various sizes for around $5.00/roll
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemView&itemsysid 8275&ViewCAT72&startRow=1&returnTo=itemList
If you do not want the copper color then buy a small bottle of one of the patina's to change the foil appearance to what you need. black, antique, brass, etc.
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemList&stage=2
cc