1/4 inch valve wrench

On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box. And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.
I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are 3/16.
How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Is this the same valve or are you traveling? Seems like if the former just leave one there.
But, that obivousness aside ( :) ), I've done specialty things like weld a length onto a standard open end/combination wrench after chopping off the box end, tacking a permanent handle onto a socket, etc. I don't have a punch, but if that were what really needed, I'd take a piece of flat stock to a local machine shop and have them punch it for me. Couldn't be more than a couple bucks for the guy here that I use regularly...

or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the hole to the right size and shape. If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal grill. (use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
: : or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the hole to the : right size and shape. : If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal grill. : (use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)
some people LIKE tool-making! (or improvising) It builds useful skills.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On May 15, 8:16 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Actually, I'll agree that's a pretty quick solution -- one enhancement on the idea would be to use one of the ratcheting box end wrenches w/ it if you have a set of them...
Why not just buy a good quality 4 inch adjustable wrench, about $12, and keep in in your pocket or on your keyring?

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in

Too easy to round off the corners.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about welding a "handle" onto a junker 1/4" drive socket and using the drive end of that socket as the "wrench". That'd give you a nice deep 1/4" square "socket".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

That was my thinking. You can usually find loose sockets at yard sales and pawn shops for a quarter each or less. You can use the appropriate sized allen wrench that fits the working end of the socket for a handle.The other thing you can do if you don't weld/braze is to epoxy them on but I get the idea this is an HVAC guy. He brazes all the time..
socket on the end of a hex wrench. Now you're talking. I do brazing, but typically copper to copper. Steel to steel is a new thing for me.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nah, this is Stumped, I mean Stormy. Look up his history. On second thought don't bother it's a waste of time.
A friend of mine suggested that. It's a very valid idea, though it's a bit more three dimensional than a flat stamped out wrench.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Aren't these used to turn gas log lighters on and off?
I'll have to check. I remember seeing 5/16 at one fireplace display at Home Cheepo. That may be the answer.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.