1/4 inch valve wrench

On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box. And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.

I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are

3/16.

How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is this the same valve or are you traveling? Seems like if the former just leave one there.

But, that obivousness aside ( :) ), I've done specialty things like weld a length onto a standard open end/combination wrench after chopping off the box end, tacking a permanent handle onto a socket, etc. I don't have a punch, but if that were what really needed, I'd take a piece of flat stock to a local machine shop and have them punch it for me. Couldn't be more than a couple bucks for the guy here that I use regularly...

Reply to
dpb

I can't help with stamped wrenches, but for AC work, I use a cheap 1/4 drive ratchet and an 8-point socket.

8-point sockets ought to be easy to come by.

-- Herb snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

How about welding a "handle" onto a junker 1/4" drive socket and using the drive end of that socket as the "wrench". That'd give you a nice deep 1/4" square "socket".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That was my thinking. You can usually find loose sockets at yard sales and pawn shops for a quarter each or less. You can use the appropriate sized allen wrench that fits the working end of the socket for a handle.The other thing you can do if you don't weld/braze is to epoxy them on but I get the idea this is an HVAC guy. He brazes all the time..

Reply to
gfretwell

dpb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the hole to the right size and shape. If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal grill. (use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Aren't these used to turn gas log lighters on and off?

Reply to
HeyBub

socket on the end of a hex wrench. Now you're talking. I do brazing, but typically copper to copper. Steel to steel is a new thing for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Travelling. Might be a different valve every couple days.

I'll check with a local machine shop, though the socket backwards on the allen key sounds like a winner.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For that ammount of labor, I'd buy a $11 ratcheting valve wrench and be done with it. How about something already made, and costing about a buck?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A friend of mine suggested that. It's a very valid idea, though it's a bit more three dimensional than a flat stamped out wrench.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll have to check. I remember seeing 5/16 at one fireplace display at Home Cheepo. That may be the answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, I'll agree that's a pretty quick solution -- one enhancement on the idea would be to use one of the ratcheting box end wrenches w/ it if you have a set of them...

Reply to
dpb

Why not just buy a good quality 4 inch adjustable wrench, about $12, and keep in in your pocket or on your keyring?

Reply to
Larry W

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:464a5c72$1$8995$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

some people LIKE tool-making! (or improvising) It builds useful skills.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in news:f2dqpv$lgu$ snipped-for-privacy@chessie.cirr.com:

Too easy to round off the corners.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have tried adjustable wrenches. The valves are often rusted, and the four sided shaft rounds off, instead of turning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

buy a 1/4" drive, 1/4" 8 point socket and then weld it to a piece of 1/4" square key stock bent as needed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Nah, this is Stumped, I mean Stormy. Look up his history. On second thought don't bother it's a waste of time.

Reply to
Tekkie®