1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

Page 1 of 4
I'd greatly appreciate someone's help with this. This has me worried. Don't know what the heck these are for. They were never there, just discovered them this afternoon. They are on a side of the house by the family room downstairs, and that side of the house abuts a public park, so a lot of cars park by it. The reason I'm concerned is that these holes were definitely never there before, and I can only surmise they were done intentionally. The idea of vandals is disturbing. There are a lot of visitors, all types of people, almost round the clock who come to enjoy the park and park their cars on the curb in front of this side of the house. Theyre were a lot of people on Memorial Day especially,but there's people all the time on that side of the house.
Anyway, could anyone say if they were done intentionally or if they are the work of a racoon or other animal. They seem too perfectly round though, for that. I'd like to post a picture but I'm not sure if we can do that on this group.
Thanks,
Chris

You can post pictures for free at sites like www.photobucket.com.
What kind of material are we talking about here? Cinder block? Other? How many holes? Do they go all the way through to the basement?
If the answer to that last question is YES, what did the police say when you called them?
I'm going to post the pictures I just took in a minute to the photobucket site. The walls aren't cinder block.

I can see this is going to be fun. We now know what the walls are NOT made of. Can you reveal what they ARE made of?
I just posted the link to the pics on photobucket. Why dont you tell me what the foundation is made of then, smart ass
Chris

The depth of each of the two holes is approximately 8-9" !! and the slope of the hole is approximately 25-30 deg
For the moment, I'm in shock at the whole incident. Mulling over it a bit, I'm also starting to think about the possible (probable) seepage of water into the foundation/ basement. Added moisture to the downstairs family room is also a concern now.
I may just alert the police, if indeed this a case of malfeasance. F**kin vandals.
You just can't trust anyone anymore....so sad.
Anyway, end of rant.

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:38:04 -0700, rank beginner wrote:

I was going to try to help but with that attitude you can forget it.
hey f**cktard, if you dont want to help,no skin off my back
i'm calling a highly recommended mason tomorrow first th ing. If it troubles you that you cant take a little gruff from a public message board then I'd avise to shut the f**k up and go elsewhere
Chris Phungirl

rank beginner wrote:
Nothing worth reading, and earned her / him / its self the short good bye.
<PLONK>
I'll never again have to read your drivel.
'Bye.
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:40:57 -0700, rank beginner wrote:

PLONK
I was also following this thread. But, no more. Learn manners.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Meat Plow wrote:

With your Usenet record, that is a blessing!
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:52:33 -0500, Clancy Wiggum wrote:

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I'm a bad boy when it counts but I know where the line is drawn proven by the fact that I post as Meat Plow. So tell me friend, what's your contribution to the thread (other than your failed attempt to toss a character slur my way?)
heh
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

The OP is trying to have sex with his foundation.

I think the OP was a female no?
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
rank beginner........
Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....
Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material and be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on speculation regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been paid to how to remedy them.
Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something constructive.....
Smarty
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

excellent suggestion, Smarty.
As for why so much emphasis on the origin of them -> Because I want to k now if there's any foul play, that's why!! We actually had a vandal damage the outside foundation wall once (albeit not the same side of the house). On that occasion, we heard the loud thump, thought the neighbor had a mower or other object accidentally roll into the wall, or something, but discovered somebody took a hammer to the wall (or maybe just a heavy blunt object, who knows) and struck the wall, causing a about a 15" across chip/crack that left a noticeable indentation. We had to patch it over but the stuff I bought at the store when dry became a darkish-grey color that makes it noticeable that it's a patch. We subsequently installed a security camera on that side of the house. So far, no more problems.
I just feel that any hole drilled in the side of your house should arouse suspicion, unless it serves some specific purpose. We have owned this house for over 30 years (it was my parents house where I grew up) and we NEVER had these holes drilled at any time be it for seepage, termites, or any other reason. Plus, why did I notice them now?? I have raked over the outside of our home constantly, and justs now see them. However, you folks have given evidence which strongly suggests they are indeed old....hmmm....tomorrow I will see if they are lined with metal.

rank beginner,
My comment and suggestion was based on the prior replies and consensus that experienced people here have offered...namely....that the holes are not new, are placed there deliberately rather than maliciously, and that the "foul play" and "suspicion" issues have been adequately and exhaustively addressed.
I personally agree with the comments that holes of this size and depth in normal foundation materials require considerable drilling effort accompanied by much noise, a lot of residue, and a much different appearance when recently drilled compared to what you show in your photos. I have to add that the notion of vandals taking the time to deliberately drill half inch holes in your foundation sounds like a topic for Jerry Springer, Comedy Central, the X-Files, or some combination thereof. Frankly, I think the forum members here have been generous in withholding skepticism, all things considered, especially as this thread has been churning for some time. The "principle of parsimony" and "Occam's Razor" as applied to science and engineering (and other fields as well) is: ***that the simplest explanation is generally the correct one***, and weep holes for drainage make a lot of sense considering where they are located on your wall.
For the reasons stated above, I encouraged you to take this to the next logical step, a remedy, if indeed you desire one or drop it.
Smarty
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Smarty, now why didn't someone reply with that kind of cogency 30 replies ago? Occam was a 12th century monk who unbeknownst to him, generated his own special type of metaphysics by attempting to posit only a nominal one...Anyhooo, back to the topic at hand:
So, if they are indeed were at one time drilled for seepage, do they need to be plugged? If so, I'd appreicate it if someone can suggest a specific product that would work for this application.
thanks again, Chrissy

Why do you suspect "vandals" of drilling into your foundation? Outlandish supposition, outlandish thread.

Did Occam posit a special type of poster who is paranoid, defensive and generally insulting while asking strangers for help? Maybe he also addressed why someone would throw rocks at your house - from the tone of your posts I think I know the reason.

Can I? Yes.