1/2" electrical PVC conduit question

I have a few electrical conduits I need to run below grade using those gray colored PVC conduits (Carlson brand).

I have been connecting those pipes together using regular plumbing PVC primer and glue. You know the purple primer and the general purpose PVC cement you use for PVC drains. I just noticed today in the electrical aisle there is a "specially formulated cement for Carlson PVC conduits" and the instructions did not mention primer. So I am wondering, did I make a mistake in using general PVC drain pipe cement? Is using primer a bad thing in this case?

Second question is about connecting this to EMT pipes. I ran the PVC pipe below grade and then used a 90 degree elbow to come up to the inside of an exterior wall. I glued a PVC female threaded coupler to that and then screw in to that female adapter a male threaded EMT connector, then on to the EMT pipes. Everything looks good and then I realized the 1/2" female adaptor and threaded coupler are actually more than 1/2" deep, and all the furring strips on the inside of this exterior wall are 1/2" deep furring strips, and now with these couplers they protrude more than 1/2", how would I lay sheet rock over this? or do I need to punch a big hole in the exterior wall and then work in a couple of offset pipes to offset the thicker connectors into the wall cavity?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

If the cement holds there just isn't a problem. Conduit doesn't have to be watertight. The wires in conduit should be rated to function in either wet or dry conduit.

Just make a hold in the sheet rock or put up two sheets adjacent to the conduit. When everything else is in place just plaster over where the conduit is. If it's more than 1" thick in places, you can build up the plaster 1/8" without anyone being the wiser. Beyond that you might see a slight "hump." You might consider putting some fiberglass tape over the "joint" and taper it out over 10" or so,

Reply to
John Gilmer

*Supposedly some glues have a primer in them. Don't worry you should be fine.
*Shave the back of the drywall. There is a drywall file or rasp for this. You could also notch it and then tape over it later.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks!

Reply to