1/2" Brass threaded pipe

Page 1 of 2
Does anybody have any idea where I can get a fully threaded brass pipe, 1/2" in diameter (5/8 on inside) that is 3.5" long? I have tried hardware stores, plumbing supply houses etc but everybody wants to know who made the faucet and it doesn't say on it...
Thanks,
Kevin
1/2 Brass pipe for plumbing is very common. Home Depot, Lowes and any plumbing supply house should carry plenty of Brass pipe & fittings.
Try here: http://www.clawfootsupply.com/product400
or
my local Salt Lake City favorite:
http://www.m-onespecialties.com /
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
I need the pipe to be fully threaded, not just on the ends.
Im going to get the ID and OD diameter again (a friend has the pipe so it might take a bit of time).

Kevin wrote:

This is called a "running thread".
This type of nipple is most common in the elec trade, where galv steel nipples are used. A few faucet mfr's used them in brass, but they are not common today and hard to find.
http://www.islandreplacementparts.com/IRPFfaucetRepairs.htm knows about them.
http://www.lawsupply.net/brass_fittings/ips / lists a brass running thread nipple
GOOGLE for more.
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

X 6 RUNNING THREAD NIPPLE on the lawsupply link would be the one he needs. Just a matter of cutting the length to 3-1/2"
Am I missing something or is there no way to order off of the lawsupply website?

Kevin wrote:

The easiest way is to edit off the last part of the address:
http://www.lawsupply.net
Then give them a call. They do not appear to support on-line ordering.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
Kevin wrote:

You'll probably have to use old technology to order from them. Maybe now that you know the proper name for the piece, you may do better calling/visiting plumbing suppliers in your area.

Kevin wrote:

1/2" OD, 3/8" ID.
I seriously need to get a caliper so that Im not trying to eyeball it against a ruler.

Kevin wrote:

1/8" larger than 1/2" ( 4/8").

klien pipes

Charles Spitzer wrote:

when you are talking about pipe and tubing sizes where tubing is measured on the outside and pipe on the inside. But in any event, you can't have a pipe or tube that is 1/2" diameter on the outside and 5/8" diameter on the inside. Maybe if you switched those diameter measurements, then yes.

willshak wrote:

They are made by the The Acme Manufacturing Company. IIRC the company was founded by a guy named Mobius, but he lost it when he went on the bottle again and didn't get around to business. See:
http://www.kleinbottle.com /
(I bought one there a few years ago. It makes a nice compliment to the sterling silver Mobius strip napkin ring I picked up years ago.)
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
I'm sure he is talking about faucet stem pipe. That is nominal 1/2" (5/8 OD) with a running thread. No taper.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

OK, it was a funny. I have seen those bottles, but didn't know the name. I am am familiar with mobius strips. Solly, Charlie.

I don't know about brass pipe, but in Electrical Metallic Tubing, 1/2" EMT has a 5/8" inside diameter. The nominal or trade size may differ quite a bit from the actual measurements.
Cheers, Wayne
P.S. I'm guessing that in the case of EMT, the outside diameter was set to coincide with Rigid Metal Conduit, which is measured by inside diameter, but the EMT walls are alot thinner.

Actually .56" according to table 4 in the NEC.

0.560" is the ID of 1/2" ENT. The ID of 1/2" EMT is 0.622", or almost 5/8".
Cheers, Wayne

Yup, sorry for the FUD