1-1/4 in. drain plubming question...

I'm installing a 4-ft. kitchenette with sink and, due to space constraints, I am considering running 1-1/4" abs as opposed to

1-1/2" (the lines will tie into 1-1/2" about 8' downstream). What problems might I run into wrt to draining? TIA!
Reply to
umpolungx

What does the code call for? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Current min drain pipe (in the wall, not under sink) is 2".

My older home (1930) had some 1 1/2 lines that over the years were problematic. I had all the cast iron laterals replaced with 2" ABS.

This sounds like a bootleg / non-code project.

Most code changes (modernization) are for safety or improved performance but there are millions of old installations that work just fine that aren't up to current code.

A drains at 1 1/4" (for any appreciable run length) are pretty small. I think you'd have trouble depending on sink usage (garbage disposal?)

Even 1 1/2" is rather small on a long length run....I would suggest re- thinking your design & work in 2", the result will more trouble free.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Bootleg, yes.

Rethinking my design includes the use of a concrete saw...blah ;-).

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Me

You'll want to Tee in an air admittance valve after your trap under the sink. That'll keep the 8' run of 1-1/4 from sucking your trap dry.

Steve Barker DLT

As others mentioned, a kitchen sink requires a 2" drain. Consider routing the drain through cabinets or having it stick out of the wall a little.

Also, the outer diameter of copper drains is noticeably less than that of plastic drains (ABS). For example 1.5" Cu and 1.25" ABS have about the same outer diameter. Since you are only going 8' the cost shouldn't be prohibitive.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

That's what I was worried about. It'll definitely be (dry) vented but as Wayne has suggested, I'll likely go with 1.5" Cu scraps that were destined for recycling.

Thanks again everybody.

Reply to
Me