0W20 oil

Page 4 of 4

Steve Barker wrote:

places besides your driveway the weight of the oil does make a difference in cold weather starting.

It also makes a difference in how much oil gets to tight spots such as bearings, etc before the engine warms up. Running straight 30 oil in an engine ENGINEERED for 5-20 will shorten its life. Mr. Barker's Ford had consumption issues BECAUSE he ran straight 50 in it.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

are a conspiracy...
It is just amazing how people hang on to the idea that heavy oil is necessary.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

no it had consumption issues cause it spent the first 70,000 miles of it's life off road with an owner that didn't believe in maint.

I used to run straight 50 in my '53 Mercury with flathead V-8. Leaked less, burned less. If it was a liquid, that car leaked it.

There is a world, or two, of difference between a 53 flathead V-8 and a modern engine.
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 08:12:22 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

But not true if the vehicle was always in Pheonix Arizona, Ougadougu Berkina Faso, Livingstone Zambia or the UAE. Or at least 10,000 other places I could name where 65 degrees F is a COLD day.
In those places, running a 50 weight oil would cause ABSOLUTELY no problems. (Been there, Done that. Wore out the T shirt)
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:06:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Incorrect. Flat out, incorrect.
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 06:51:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Prove it to me. And what are your qualifications to dissagree? Why should I believe you? Come on, convince me. I'm a licenced mechanic for 36 years, and an instructor at both secondary and post-secondary (trade) level.
Show me yours.
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:43:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

rolls eyes

You see something new every day. Now we have somebody ranting against multi-viscosity oil? It surely didn't become widespread due to fuel economy. As someone else pointed out, it's been widely used in autos since the 60s. All that has happened in that regard is auto manufacturers have been going to lower weight ones over the years to improve fuel economy.
Also, if it doesn't make any difference, it's kind of funny auto manufacturers waste time coming up with charts that show the correct oil weight for different climates.

i agree, it is funny. It's all about the mileage ratings.
Steve Barker wrote:

You have a lot to learn about oil!
SMS wrote:

not really. I've been using straight 30 in EVERY thing i own since i started driving in '73. Been an ASE certified master auto and truck mechanic since '79 and have never had ANY kind of major component failure in an engine i owned EVER. And they never get driven less than about 180 - 200k miles before i get rid of them . And with the exception of the 400 ford i mentioned before that was worn out when i got it, I've never had oil consumption issues with any vehicle either. Oil is oil as long as it is kept changed regularly. Period.
George wrote:

no it doesn't.
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:34:10 -0500, Steve Barker

At -40, a 20W weight oil is thick like tar and starting is VERY difficult. A 1969 Dodge slant six would not turn over - after an hour with heat, it finally started and blew the oil filter off. With a 10W base oil (10W40, in fact) it started perfectly the next morning, at -42F
I'd have hated to even think about #30 without a block heater - Which I'm sure you used on the 400 Ford.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

no block heater. if the engine is in proper tune, it makes absolutely no difference what weight oil is laying in the oil pan. Also ran a 6.9 diesel (85) on straight 30 after ford recommended it. No problems starting it either to go out snow plowing.
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 19:14:40 -0500, Steve Barker

the great white north.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well the very worst we see as a rule is about 10 below actual temp. Very, very rare to be colder than that. And mostly between 0 and 20 most winter nights. (kansas city area)
hibb wrote:

Cruise over to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php You'll learn everything about Oils, filters, etc....