0W20 oil

Page 1 of 4

Getting ready for the first oil change in my 2009 Matrix and read the owner's manual and found that they recommend 0W20 oil fer this thang.
K-Mart doesn't carry it. Menards doesn't carry it. Napa dealer didn't have it but they did have the filter for the car.
I plan, for the time being, to start changing my own oil again. Oil change places tend to tear up the undercarriage cover to get to the oil filter. So, where is a good source to get the oil and filter and still get a decent price. Right now, it looks like the cost of the oil and filter is about what I would pay to get the oil changed by somebody else.
Thanks, David
hibb wrote:

Interesting post because I did not think there was any such animal as 0W20 oil but googling shows that there is.
I would imagine that unless you are living in someplace like Alaska, you would not need it:
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

The owner's manual recommends 0W20 for best performance for starting and mileage. I will go with 5W20 for this oil change because that is all that I can find in the stores except for synthetic at nearly $7 a quart.
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:50:24 -0700 (PDT), Shy Picker

5W20 will be OK, but I would not use a non-synthetic5W20 or 0W20 in that engine. Particularly on the "normal" schedule. Using synth at "normal" or regular at "extreme" is about the same cost and is better.
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:50:24 -0700 (PDT), Shy Picker

    I would double check the owner's manual to make sure it does not specify synthetic oil, directly or indirectly. Assuming you have a gasoline car what is the number after the "S" in the specification (Diesel cars will have an "C" rather than the "S"
    Some cars need synthetic oils and may only indirectly specifiy them.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think it is specifying it directly. I don't know of any multi-viscosity organic oils with "0" as their lowest viscosity.
George wrote:

Googled this up:
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html
If I read this correctly, 0W is about twice as viscous as cold water:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-dynamic-kinematic-viscosity-d_596.html
Frank wrote:

You'll want to avoid non-API certified oils at all costs, and that includes most Amsoil products.
You can see a list of all the 0W-20 oils able to meet the API standards at "http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByViscosity.asp?Viscosity=0W-20 ".
In general, Amsoil products cannot meet the API standards because the level of phosphorus is too high. The API, and vehicle manufacturers, have determined that high levels of phosphorus will cause early catalytic converter failure.
hibb wrote:

... For what outside temperature range?
That seems incredible; only place I've ever heard of that range would be in Arctic-like climate/temperatures.
The only reason for it I can think of otherwise is its how they managed to get mileage ratings boost by lowering oil viscosity so much.
Tried to get to an owners' manual online; stinkin' Toyota site wouldn't let one at it w/o "registering"--what's up w/ that just to look at a publication??? :( Anyway, wasn't able to check on what the recommendations are or alternatives, sorry.
I'd surely do some more checking though...

The only two viscosity ranges mentioned in the owner's manual is 0W20 and 5W20. Surprised the hell out of me when I saw that.
David

For the first couple of changes, if you have to , pay the price and get the oil. After that, if I could not easily find it I'd use 5W20 as the engine is better broken in. The low viscosity is more for fuel mileage than anything.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[....]
[....]
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
"The main reason 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line."
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
"This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil."
Larry, your thoughts please.
says...

My Mazda PU specifies 5w-20, but the dealer always uses 5w-30 for the oil changes. (I bought the lifetime oil change deal.) I was curious if I could tell any difference, so I changed it myself once with 5w-20 and couldn't tell any difference in gas mileage.
Since the weather has cooled off, I have gone back to driving my dad's old 1984 Nissan pickup, with 5-speed standard transmission, no AC, no power steering and a 4-cylinder Z24 engine. I notice about a 50% improvement in gas mileage. The engine has 10w-30 stamped on it, but I'm sure it would run fine on 5w-30 in the winter.
If you really have to squeeze the last erg out of your fuel, Red Line markets a 0W5 racing oil. I wouldn't recommend it for street use.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

[....]
[....]
neat sharing of information. thanks Larry...
a friend who races on the small home boy circuit told me how he has drained the heavy oil out of the rear end differential gear and replaced it with Slick50 for his qualifying laps. He said he might pick up 1 or 2 mph by doing this and sometimes the difference between a good place in the starting lineup and a not so good place in the starting lineup is determined by only a few tenths of a mph. He went on to say he had never run an entire race with such a lite weight lubricant in the rear end deferential and how the point was all about qualifying for a good starting position.
Jim wrote:

I just now remembered something I saw on a cool morning in the pits at what was "Indy" races. Almost everyone had a torpedo type kerosene heater blowing on the rear differential long before the race started.
hibb wrote:

Hi, Only in synthetic oil I believe. I don't think dino juice can go down to 0 viscoity.

Well, so far I have only seen it in synthetic.
Shy Picker wrote:

Hi, I think 5W-20 will do OK and for normal driving it'll last over 20K miles. Even up here where I am, no one uses 0W-20. Further up North, they never shut off engine in dead winter all day long once started in the morning. My son's turbo engine(mod'd Subaru WRX STI) uses Mobil 1 5W-30 and oil/filter change once a year. He drives the car pretty hard.

But where are you? Canada, but where?

mm wrote:

Hi, I am in Calgary Alberta smack in the Chinook belt.