Zoysia invading centipede lawn

Neighbor's fine leaf zoysia is invading my centipede. I have not been able to locate a herbicide that will kill zoysia and not bother my centipede. Vantage handles most of my bahia but doesn't seem to bother the zoysia.

Reply to
Mr.E

on 8/21/2007 6:44 PM snipped-for-privacy@totally.invalid said the following:

Zoysia spreads by rhizomes. There has to be a physical barrier buried a few inches to prevent the spread of zoysia.

Reply to
willshak

It needs to be more than "a few inches".

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

How many more inches than a 'few'?

Reply to
willshak

If you /really/ want to keep zoysia rhyzomes in their own area, I'd go at

*least* 18". It has very deep roots. That's the main reason it doesn't have the water requirements of a lot of other grasses. Any shallower is a waste of time. On the plus side, it's a slow spreader (at least in the midwest). The OP didn't state their locale, but if they're using centipede, it ain't close to here. If I were in Fla, I'd probably go 2' (unless that's where the water table is, LOL) =)
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I've always heard 18", so I'd go along with that.

Reply to
jtees4

My entire front yard at my old house was Zoysia. It's beautiful stuff, I loved it. There is really no way to stop it, because anything that will kill the Zoysia will kill the Centipede grass too. You would have to kill everything, install barriers and replant.

Reply to
J.A. Michel