Yup - woodpecker

Whoever guessed it was a pileated woodpecker pulling my old stump apart was right on the money. I thought it was too much work for a bird but today I surprised the little (not so little) devil. He flew to another tree 50' away to see if I was going to stay or leave - and then back to another tree 20' on the other side of the stump. Went on the far side of that tree and peeked around to check me out.
ya, they do that. We have two pair that come into our yard all year long. They are great to watch and they have gotten to know me and they will talk to you if you walk into theyard
net... Whoever guessed it was a pileated woodpecker pulling my old stump apart was right on the money. I thought it was too much work for a bird but today I surprised the little (not so little) devil. He flew to another tree 50' away to see if I was going to stay or leave - and then back to another tree 20' on the other side of the stump. Went on the far side of that tree and peeked around to check me out.
-