Yellow/pale grass section on Lawn

All,

> > Its 2 months since i asked the original questions about my problem law > and i aerated as suggested, but to little effect at the time as i wa > still constantly using the lawn. > > But now the rainy season(?) has hit the UK i think its time for th > "fall" maintenance to begin. I've got a day this week planned to do i > and just want to run my "to do list" past you guys. > > * Over the weekend i plan to completley aerate the lawn with the hollo > tine and fill the holes with sharp sand. > * Use an electric scarifier to give the grass a good going over and ge > out any dead grass/thatch etc > * Give the lawn a modest mow to pick up as much of the remaining dea > stuff the scarifier left behind. > * Rake the lawn to disturb the soil (depending on how much th > scarifier has done) > * Spike aerate the lawn with the roller aerater > * Spread new grass seed > * Use a broom to make sure the grass gets into the soil > * Apply a "top mix" at around quarter inch > * Brush in top mix > * Water regular for a couple of weeks if required to allow seed t > take. > > How does that sound? > > I also would like some suggestions on 1) Autumn(Fall) Feeding? and 2 > The top mix > > 1) At what stage would you recommend i apply the Autumn feed? before > after? somewhere in the middle? Weeks after? Also, what should i b > looking for in terms of content? > > 2) Top Mix. I was going to make my own using compost, sharp sand an > some riddled soil i've saved through the summer. If this is ok, the > great, if not, what should i be looking for? > > Thanks in advance for all your help. > > Cheers > > Mick > Sheffield, England.

Well i've aerated the entire lawn with a combination of tine aerator fork and roller aerater. Also pulled out some dead looking grass wit conventional rake.

Time to use the scarifier next, any tips??

I've got the sharp sand and peat to put down along with the grass seed

for any help before i start the scarifiying over the weekend. ie do i put the peat/sand down seperate or mix in the grass seed wit it?

Cheers, Mic

-- Zarch

Reply to
Zarch

Rye grass is added to lawn seed mixtures to give hard wearing properties. However due to its broad leaved growth habit it is not ideal for ornamental lawns. New developments in breeding have led to the production of 'fine leaved' rye-grass varieties, one of which has been incorporated into Rapid Green making it the ideal choice for both front and back lawns.

In addition to the fine leaved rye-grass, 'Highland Bent' and Fescue varieties are added to give a spreading growth habit and fill in those troublesome areas faster.

Oh boy! who da thunk of that combo? That's cutting edge right there!

Reply to
Steveo