Won't Start/ Craftsman Garden Tractor/23 hp Kohler V-twin engine

Hi,

I have a 3 year old Craftsman garden tractor which will not start. It has a Kohler 23 HP V-twin engine. I replaced the starter and the solenoid assembly.

When I turn the ignition key, the starter spins but will not start the engine. How can I prime the engine at the pulse fuel pump to start the engine?

Would the fuel pump be bad at 3 years? Or should I test the ignition unit? How can i test it?. Is it common for the ignition unit to fail on a garden tractor?

The battery, spark plugs, fuel and air filters are all new.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Jeff Mattison

Reply to
jeff

take off the air filter and give a quick shot of starting fluid into carb.if it starts its a fuel problem. if it doesnt start, then yes check to see if you have a spark at the plugs.

Reply to
ds549

Well if the starter, solenoid, battery,spark plugs, and fuel filter were bad, why wouldn't the fuel pump be bad ? Do we assume you are using this machine commercially ? You said the starter spins but you didn't say if the starter is spinning the motor. Is the bendix gear engaging ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

And if the motor is turning over then check for spark at the plugs. Easy way is to remove one plug wire and put a screwdriver in it and hold on to it. It won't kill you but you will "feel" the spark.

If no spark, check coil.

Reply to
Alex J.