Winter Lawn Care

What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"
Also, I have some bare patches. Anything I can do to seed these or, if not, prepare them for seeding in the spring?
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies around 28 C

days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Yes, and if you think that's amazing, it's 50-70 during the day!
Bob F wrote:

in the arid SW?
large source of pollution and a waste of $.
putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.
putting down fertilizer just to have to go through the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate is close to criminal IMO.
there are places where having a lawn is fine, but the SW isn't one of them.
songbird
Bob F wrote: ...

you're welcome. :)

no, probably fairly easy to keep a lawn green there all season.
i'd still not fertilize any lawn much at all. why make something that you have to cut grow faster?
songbird

A belated thanks, Bob. Since first posting the question, it has not rained a drop, so watering about once every week or two is all I'm doing right now.