Will mature pine trees grow new branches?

I live in Illinois, and I have two mature spruce-type trees (about 40 feet tall) about 20 feet from the front of our house. The trees were planted too close together and are now growing into each other. The space where the two trees come close together has no branches or leaves.

I would like to take one of the trees down, but I am concerned that the remaining tree will forever have this bare space along one side where the other tree used to be.

If I remove one tree, will the remaining tree "fill in" and grow new branches and leaves? If so, how many seasons should we expect this to take?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
jango's head

You may get some new growth now that some parts of the tree will be getting sun but I doubt the tree will "fill out."

-greetings from the pine tree state cj

Reply to
CJ

I took an arbour course once that discussed this problem. The text claimed that the tree would never fill in.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H