Will a lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) cause flowers to NOT bloom?

My wife seems to think that when my lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) gets into her flower bed, it causes the flowers to put out more leaves and less blooms. Specifically lillys.
True - or false?
Lawn Guy said:

Her concern is reasonable. Excess nitrogen is not good for flowering perennials.
<http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/fertilizing_established_perennial_gardens_f eed_em_and_weep>
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 6/8/2014 7:40 PM, Lawn Guy wrote:

Depends on how much gets in there. A little bit probably won't hurt, but if you're talking a standard application, well then you'll probably end up with much taller plants and potentially fewer flowers.
I made that mistake my first year of gardening, when I was a teenager. I later used it as an example of over-use of fertilizer in my talks I gave as a master gardener: "The first year I grew broccoli, it was four feet tall. The stems were thick as baseball bats. I was so proud! I waited all season, but it never set heads..."