Why some wildflowers prohibited in certain states?

In looking through some seed catalogs, I was surprised to learn that certain flower seeds are forbidden in certain states. I failed to write down details (I am looking for the website again), but some common wildflower such as Black-eyed Susans cannot be shipped to certain states because they are outlawed. This seems very weird to me !!
This is not a troll, I am serious, and curious to boot.
Thanks !!
--James--

Probably because that state has classified them as a noxious weed.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yes. MA and NH have decided that 11 common plants are invasive and cannot be sold after this year. You can find more info on http://www.paulparent.com

Black-eyed Susans should be outlawed. They advicate domestic violence! Isn't it the offical flower of Nascar fans! :p
Ok, just kidding, don't flame me.
I was told some plant laws are 'old', my local codes have 'preferred' tree list for planting on sides of roads, that is over a century old, and the trees are both ugly and not 'natural' to the area. So you might have some old rules on the books, based on what was thought to encourage desireable plants, and discourage agressive plants.
But then.... just guessing from our local 'rules'.
later,
tom