Who eats my hostas?

Page 2 of 2
I'm going to try the beer can thing in my garden. Little sluggers are feasting on my Sum & Substances. How does that work exactly? You put a beercan half-filled with beer next to the hosta, they crawl in, fall in, and can't get up?

No - you put it in a shallow dish, like the ones you put under flower pots. Obviously, a clay one won't work unless it's glazed. Make a little depression in the soil so the rim of the dish is almost level with the ground. Not sure if they have a preference for certain kinds of beer. :-)
Another option is to capture them alive, put them in a box with some moist oatmeal, let them eat for a few days, and then sautee them with garlic, butter and herbs. Escargot! The oatmeal flushes anything nasty out of their digestive system. Even though people eat salami, cheez doodles and other crap, we wouldn't want to eat anything that ate as badly as we do.
Thanks for the tip Doug. I don't have the time for slug hunting, so I'll try the beer in the dish thing this weekend. It can't hurt, anyway.
Doug Kanter wrote:

are
put a

fall
pots.
the
:-)
moist
garlic,
their
other
It usually works. Think positive!

We haven't had much rain and slugs are minimal here for now so mine are mostly being eaten by some variety of leaf miner. BT hasn't done much to stop it so I'm just watchin them slowly get eaten at present.
joe