When to harvest banana peppers?

I picked my first pepper today (sounds like a tongue twister) but I'm not sure if it was too soon. If it were straight it would probably measure 7-8" and is about 1 1/2" is diameter near the stem. It's a nice lime green and smells great. Was it ready?

Check out rec.gardens.edible for lots of good vegetable advice.
Our banana peppers are about 4-5" long, and we've been eating them in salad and spaghetti sauce. They're alot hotter than we expected.
Our green peppers still have very thin walls, and with thise heat may not get much better.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Mitch, you ever try the Italian Curly Peppers?

No...what are they like?
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Actually, they're pretty good. Their are different varities usually called "frying peppers". THey are used for roasting as well. The ones I planted this year (first link) range from green to red. When red they're pretty sweet. Great in omelettes. Sauteed w/ garlic and onion then heaped over italian sausage is very tasty. Another way to enjoy them is to cut off the stem end and remove the few seeds, followed by a drizzle of olvie oil inside with a thin slice or two of pepper-jack cheese. Grill on low til they just start to char slightly.
Some folks hang and dry them for later use.
Check this: http://tinyurl.com/7dp5a http://tinyurl.com/82laj http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/peppers.html