When should I mow new turf?

We had a new turf lawn laid just two weeks ago (3rd weekend in May). Th

wrong time of the year probably but it couldn't be helped.

The grass is getting a bit long and we're conscious of the need to cu it to help the new lawn and stimulate growth but we've been told tha we need to stay off of it for about 7 weeks. What's the next step? Whe can we safely mow the lawn without damaging it? We've consulted som books and there is no clear advice.

Thanks,

-- Molotovjack

Reply to
Molotovjack

Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod. I don't think you have given it enough time yet. When you do cut it, do it carefully, if your mower allows it, cut the speed of the engine and mow slowly taking small swipes each time to reduce the chance the blade will catch on some poorly rooted areas.

Reply to
EXT

If it needs mowing and you can do so without the turf lifting then mo it on a relatively high setting, taking no more than a third off th sward. Depending where you are it should be starting to establish now A cylinder mower is better than a rotary for newly laid turf.

There's some more advice about 'mowing'

o our website 'here'

-- Helen R

Reply to
Helen R

Just what kind of mower has that much vacuum?

Reply to
Art

that'd be the JimBob special. taking a B&S 6hp and ripping that plastic crap carburetor off and replacing it with one of the metal ones salvaged from the bone yard with both screw adjustments available I can achieve 3800 to 4200 hundred RPM. then add a high lift blade and you got some vacuum.

yep, fire one of these up in a neighborhood filled with girlie guys and you can generate 15 calls to 911 in less than 3 minutes, unless they're all out at sears shopping...

:)

Reply to
Jim

With a chute from a snowthrower to just blow the stuff into the next county, right? Why mess with a bag...

Reply to
Art

A mower with a high lift blade(s) that gather the cuttings in a bag will create vacuum. However, it doesn't take vacuum to lift sod that isn't well rooted. All it takes is the cutting action through the blades of grass at a corner of the sod piece to pull the corner up into the blades, the blades will take over from there and shred the sod spewing dirt, roots and grass out the side.

How do I know? The town sodded the sides of my driveway when then changed a culvert, after a few weeks I ran my mower over the sod and ripped out a couple of pieces. Made a mess and the town doesn't come back to replace it.

Reply to
EXT

LOL I like it...

Reply to
Jim

Why should they? They didn't screw it up, you did.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly