When should I mow my lawn

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a brand new homeowner (and not that this should be an excuse, but I'm also a single woman). It rained this morning (it is early evening now). Should I mow my lawn now or wait a day or so? I would think I might want to wait in case the rain encouraged more growth. Also, would it mess up my lawn mower if I mowed a damp lawn (well, the soil may be slightly damp)? Thanks in advance for your advice!
PS - I have bermuda grass, if that makes a difference.

Sounds like a very serious probem - if handled incorrectly could cause a disaster.
Send me your address and I'll be right over to save you - and whatever.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Feel it, and then cut it when it's not wet for best results. Wet turf clings to the cutting deck.
Steveo wrote:

Mexicans don't like cutting grass after rain. They fall and get a wet back ;) Frank

Depends on your local climate. If its been drought conditions with a current short term rain like last night in Central TX, no don't mow it at all. If you've been getting regular rain periods, and have ample tap water or rain barrel in the interim, go ahead and mow it. Mow it high though until fall has arrived in full force. Your mower should have a height adjustment.
Never mow after a rain or watering yourself. Let it dry a couple of days.
--
Jonny

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:04:12 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The grass or ground should not be wet to the touch. Wet grass just sticks to the mower and eventually it won't run. You'll have to decide if your lawn can be mowed later in the day after a rain.
If it does stop and you can't restart it move the mower back to a dry spot like the driveway. Then it should start okay. Raising the mower also helps lessen the amount of wet grass being cut.
Here I'd never mow if I waited for a full day without rain. My particular grass and mower work best when cut at 2 1/2". Lower tends to clog more and doesn't look good in some areas.
Most people suggest mowing near the high setting. You can cut lower to discourage growth, but it can also look like a burnt or yellowed lawn for several days.
David
On 29 Aug 2006 16:04:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dry os always better than wet.....if you need to do it in the wet, it won't hurt anything. Yoyu may want to hose off the mower afterwards however..especially under the deck.