When do I spay insectiside on corn plants?

I'm sure I'll get some flames about using insecticide, and I almost never use it. However, I have ONE corn stalk. I would like to eat the ears when they ripen. When should I spray bug spray on them? If there is an alternative to prevent the worms from eating the corn kernels, I'd be glad to give it a try.
Suggestions??
eVe Giidiion said:

Spray whenever. With only one corn plant, it's doubtful that you'll get even one complete ear. Corn needs to be planted in a block to ensure proper pollination.
--
Eggs

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?