what to do with stump grindings

Just finished having a bunch of stumps ground off. They were associated with big pine trees, and were storm damage aftermath.

The grinding process has left fairly large piles of shavings/chips. My inclination is simply to spread those out around the crater areas, instead of removing and disposing of.

Is this a good solution? I've got a drag harrow type thing that, towed by my tractor, will make quick work of spreading and levelling, if that's an acceptable thing to do with this kind of leavings

Reply to
RB

It's a good idea if you don't mind creating a mushroom and toadstool field. All that wood will be excellent fodder for them. You may want to consider using the chips in your flower beds or having them hauled away. You may be able to find a landscaper who will take them for free. Do you have any paper factories around your area? Sometimes they will take pine for free. Usually you will have to haul. You can also mix some soil with it and create great compost with it, if you have a place to pile it and the time to turn it every couple of weeks. Of course, then you have to haul in an equal amount of topsoil to fill the holes.

Reply to
GFRfan

I've always heard that green wood mulch will consume most of the nitrogen from the soil so you'll need to add extra if you use it as a mulch around plantings.

Reply to
JB

Agreed - and they would be acidic so they would only be helpful around plants that need / like acid. And wood chips take forever to decompose in a compost pile.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko