What to do with hydrangeas?

Last year a landscaper put in several different plants, including a row of hydrangeas (they bloomed blue and purple).

The growth from last year is brittle and seems dead to me. I noticed some new growth coming out of the ground.

Am I supposed to prune last year's "dead" wood? Do I chop it all off?

Confused, Mitch

Reply to
Anonymous

BTW, I'm in Zone 5a.

Reply to
Anonymous

I've gotten new growth from the ground and from the ends of those dry looking stalks. I'd wait and see what happens - bet you'll get some growth.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Reply to
Squanklin

yep, I got the blues and prune the dead flowers off in the fall after the flowers die and go brown or before spring when they start to grow again. I usually have to prune the whole bush other wise it gets too big.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Reply to
JillAdams