What kind of weeds are these?

Can someone please tell me what kind of weed this is and how to kill it. I have had them for 2 years and can't seem to be able to get rid of them.

Picture at the attached site.

Jon Hirschman

I am new to posting. I have uploaded the images to the links below.

Reply to
Jon Hirschman

Looks like barnyard grass or such. You likely picked it up from straw used for grass seed covering. A pre emergent application in late February may reduce it. It usually dies off during the heat of the summer though. It travels like poa annum; seeds from an annual.

That's what it looks like to me.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

It might be nutsedge. Are the stems V shaped (almost triangular)?

If so "Image" is supposed to kill it

Reply to
<dochuff

grows faster than the rest of the grass, extremely coarse, perennial. (I let some clumps grow up to bloom to get the ID.)

A sponge or wick with "Roundup" brushed across the part of the clump that sticks up above the rest of the lawn might work without doing damage to the good grass if you are very careful.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Reply to
Jon Hirschman

The area that has this week was reseaded a few years ago and covered with hay. I'm sure "whatever" it is came from cheap sead of the hay.

Reply to
Jon Hirschman

The stems are round or oval shaped..

Reply to
Jon Hirschman

What does this plant look like when it comes out of the ground? Does it go horizontal for a bit, before then curving upward? And are the bottom sections near the ground reddish?

Reply to
trader4

It looks like thick grass but each strand starting from the same center point.

It seems to go vertical right away.

Completely green.

I will try to take a better picture of on of the weeds I let grow and post.

Reply to
JonHirschman

Then it sounds like it's different than what I have in some spots in my lawn. It sounds like what you have is a weed grass too though. There are selective herbicides that will kill many weed grasses, but not harm turf. I zapped the weed grass I have with Acclaim and it's working on it. Regular broadleaf weed killers won't work on these, because they are not broadleaf weeds. Acclaim is generally sold in commercial quantities. You might want to try something like Ortho Crabgrass killer, which is another selective grass killer and should be easier to find. It not only kills crabgrass, but also other weed type grass. That is the type of product you'll need, unless you want to resort to using Roundup and reseeding.

Reply to
trader4